Flash Technique advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash Technique advice please

This weekend I've faced two situations where lighting was tricky and the subject moving (wedding vow ceremony and 10k Run)....I'm happy with balancing flash with natural light using the camera and flash on manual...but as the subject moves the flash required changes so i needed to be in a more automated mode....thus suddenly i was out of control of shutter speed resulting in some images being barely acceptable.

Can anyone advise on the best settings for wedding situations where the subject is moving indoors and outdoor moving subjects please?
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: Flash Technique advice please

please some one must have an insight?
    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Sorry Brian can't help but I am watching with interest to see if others can

Alan

Comment

Thanks Alan....maybe everyone just wings it on the day?
        There’s got to be a best way.....
        Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Not sure how bright the out doors, but you need to set the camera for high speed sync. That way you can shoot flash outdoors when it exceeds the normal sync speed between camera and flash.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom...yes I’ve set high speed sync....but I think maybe the ttl calculation of the flash has to be retaken when the subject gets closer...I dont think it can do that continuously.

For indoors I’ve now found two techniques on YouTube....both have the camera set to manual exposure...one has the flash on ttl and the varies the power useing exposure compensation on the flash....the second one uses manual flash output starting at 1/32 power if the camera is set at ISO 3200 ...the latter is pretty much what I do but doesn’t help with movement.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

The camera meters continuously during a burst. I have tried the high speed sync technique and had success with runners but keep the bursts short as the flash will stop on you as it will tend to overheat and the auto shut down will kick in.
              Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 16-05-2018, 22:49.
              Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Working...
              X