CANON 1DX ISO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CANON 1DX ISO

Could anyone recomend a maximum iso setting on the 1dx for wildlife use.
    Assuming the pictures would be going to sold on say Alamy

Re: CANON 1DX ISO

I believe it has similar launch time as the 5D3 (which I have) but with fewer megapixels so I guess it will be better....I have successfully loaded ISO3200 images to Alamy....its more important that each individual image is reasonably noise free....so brighter images with lots of noise losing detail will be better than dark or underexposed images where noise will be prevalent.....hope that helps....
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I agree with Brian ...... 3200 for a 1DX and probably 6400 for a 1DX MKII.

The important thing is to nail the exposure. Get that right for the image and you can keep it pretty clean, without adding extra noise and artefacts.
      Colin

Comment

I would say double both ISO's. I've used the 1DX at 6400 and the 1DX ii at 12,800 and got good pictures. Slight noise, but nothing to intrusive and most of which can be got rid of in Photoshop.

All these pictures were taken at ISO12,800. The last one had very little light as the aircraft taxied to the peritrack.

Cheers,
        Neil
        Neilly's Flickr Page
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
        Facebook
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

Cheers for the info guys. I thought as much, I have been trying out auto ISO setting my highest to 6400 I think I'll drop it to 3200 now.
          shooting to the right too is a big help I think aswell

CANON EOS 1DX, EOS 1DMK4, 500MMF4L IS, 70-200MMF2.8L IS2 300MMF4L IS & 100MMF2.8L IS macro

Comment

I would say double both ISO's. I've used the 1DX at 6400 and the 1DX ii at 12,800 and got good pictures.
            Fair point Neil, but Alamy are a bit particular and with so many photographers looking to upload to them, they can afford to reject quite a lot.
            Colin

Comment

As good as they are Neil I think those would be rejected...the first has noticeable noise in the sky and the last has on the concrete surface. You're rating could be affected if you get any rejects against you at Alamy.
              I've got 500 on there now and I'm 3 star quality rated...I just wish the'd sell some!
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Up until the start of this thread I had absolutely no idea who or what Almany is - still don't. I doubt you would be doing wildlife in the dark of night. Just saying in my ignorance that you can get perfectly acceptable pictures at even higher ISO.
                Neilly's Flickr Page
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
                Facebook
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

I've got over a thousand on Alamy they keep selling the odd one or two a month. But the money you get from the sales these days gets less and less everytime. I only had one rejected a bit back when you had to send in Discs in Tiffs
                  I also agree with briain on the night shots they look nice and well done but look a bit heavy with the noise.
                  I try to do feathered birds in flight not the big metal ones.

Comment

Tom, I would also recommend neat image as a programme, there is a freebie to try, it clears up noise on my 1DX images if I ever need to.

Linky

Neat Image reduces high ISO noise, grain, artifacts in images from digital cameras, flatbed and slide scanners. It is a tool for professional photographers and digital image processing enthusiasts.
                    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks for that Tony I'll give it a whirl
                      Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Neilly View Post
                        I would say double both ISO's. I've used the 1DX at 6400 and the 1DX ii at 12,800 and got good pictures. Slight noise, but nothing to intrusive and most of which can be got rid of in Photoshop.

Neil
                        That is my finding too ....

Brian
                        ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by Neilly View Post

Neil
                          My feeling too

Brian
                          ef-r

Comment

Working...
                          X