Challenge nš 142 - Three

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Challenge nš 142 - Three

Firstly it was great to have a good number for a challenge that I suspect was not as easy as it first seemed. So well done to all of you who entered and I can say I have not found judging easy.

Three Shadows – Birdy I love the idea of using shadows as the subject and the 3 of you are nicely unified. I find the dandelions a bit distracting and maybe a bit more headroom would have helped the composition

Three Moms- Tom Delightful picture of the three ladies, with lovely eye contact from them all. Artfully positioned and well processed to eliminate any frock conflict by the mono master

Three in a Row – David No surprise to see cars from David and I like the neat colour choice of this arrangement . They look a bit static so I’d have liked to see stronger panning and more track for them to drive into

Steam Punks- Steve All dressed up and this should have worked but for the seated lady who seems right cheesed off. Was this the point? Do wish she’d have looked at the camera !

Bendigo Fruit bats- Alex A special mention for a most original subject matter. I thought at first they were a pair of tennis shoes laced over a telegraph wire but then realised there’s three.

Open Says Three – Andy You’ve reversed the rules and put the subject on the outside. An original idea, a lovely crisp image and this works for me

Three Casks- Peter. Barrels of liquid gold, I’m sure. Background a bit distracting but I appreciate you couldn’t move them.

Three Punts – Chris A tranquil scene, the swan adds to the picture but I still think it just wants a bit more oomph somehow. A less symmetrical composition? I’m not sure

Three on the seashore- Ian There are so many verticals I had to look hard to find the third person but got the fisherman eventually. I tried changing it to a portrait crop removing 40% off the left – which left the 3 figures and 3 poles on the right and this seemed to make it fit the brief better

Three Hungry Thrushes-David I can see the detail much better on flickr but there’s no mistaking the message for the returning parent and it makes me smile… “Feed ME” Think you could have gone for more DOF than f5

Speedy Sheep- Carol. Aah! Or should I say Baa! Very cute, sticking close to mum and they’ve got the bounce while mum keeps her cool. Nicely sharp and an appealing image

Three Cubed- Nigel. A cool idea and you’ve made a valiant attempt at a subject that’s more difficult than you’d think it ought to be. To be successful, it needs to be really sharp and if you’d dropped down from f20 and maybe moved in closer you’d have had a faster shutter speed to play with

So on to my winners who are- in reverse order -
    3rd - Speedy Sheep --Carol

2nd- Three Hungry Thrushes- David

1st Place –Open Says Three – Andy

Well done to all who entered and let’s see what Andy comes up with next…..
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Thank you very much Bo - I cant believe I came first - my first image here for a while :D

As I was watching the entries come in, I was thinking there is no way mine will get anywhere (I thought the sheep were going to win).

Well done everyone for entering- some great entries there.

I will get my thinking cap on - Im away until the weekend so will give it some thought and post the new topic over the weekend.

Thanks Bo.
      Andy
      Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
      EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
      [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Congratulations to Carol, David and Andy for your great images Plus my thanks to Bo for setting and judging the challenge.
        Peter

Feel free to browse my
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Well done guys, great challenge Bo with some really good critique's. Look forward to seeing what Andy comes up with.
          Last edited by David Stallard; 29-05-2018, 20:16.
          Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Well done everyone but mostly the top three which were well deserved.

Thanks Bo for an interesting challenge and thoughtful comments.
            Chris
            80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Congrats Andy for a winning image and thanks to Bo for a delightful Challenge

Comment

Well done Andy, picked you as first as soon as soon as I saw it. Bo, some of the most constructive comments, thanks for that. Looking forward to Andy’s challenge.

Comment

Well done Andy and thanks to Bo for the Challenge, judging and comments.

Look forward to your new challenge Andy!

Ian
                  Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Thanks everyone for the comments - and again thanks Bo for setting the subject.

As I am disappearing for a couple of days this week and on holiday at the end of June, I have already posted this next Challenge.

You have 24 days...have fun.
                    Andy
                    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
                    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
                    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Well done Andy, agree I saw as the winner as it was posted! Congratulations to the runners up and well done Bo for a challenging challenge
                      Andrew

Comment

Congratulations Andy. Very well deserved winner; as soon as you posted it I thought it would take some beating. And well done also to the runners ups and indeed all entrants, a great varied set of entries. Great topic, Bo, and great comments on all.
                        See you on the next one.
                        Canon EOS 7D
                        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Congratulations Andy! And thank you very much for the third place for my sheep, Bo.
                          Regards,

Carol

Canon 5D mk ii, iii and 7D mk 2, 100-400mm L IS II, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Canon L 100mm macro, Canon L 24-105mm, Canon 50mm f1.8,

Comment

Working...
                          X