Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CANON 7Dmk2

Greetings all,
    Hoping for some advice, I have been using a canon 750d with a 100-400 IS f/4.5-5.6 II USM lens for a few months now with great results.
    I was in a position to upgrade the body to a 7dmk11, I have been out with the lens a couple of times but find I cant get a decent image, they are very dark when on laptop and lcd screen, unless I have a very high iso even on sunny days, this is making them very grainy,,,im am needing around 64000 iso for a shutter speed of 1/1600 with the lens at 5.6..the sd card is sandisk extreme pro 32g and shooting in RAW +L..I am mainly into wildlife photography..am I doing anything silly?
    Last edited by CHESTER; 04-05-2018, 19:23.

Re: CANON 7Dmk2

Hmm, something doesn't seem right. My initial guess would be that you've dialed in some exposure compensation, use Q button to check. If you've been tweaking settings it might be worth resetting the camera back to default and see if that resolves things.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
      Hmm, something doesn't seem right. My initial guess would be that you've dialed in some exposure compensation, use Q button to check. If you've been tweaking settings it might be worth resetting the camera back to default and see if that resolves things.
      Hi antoeknee,
      Thanks for the info, all seems well with exposure comp, and have reset defaults with no change, the only thing I have spotted is that the lens aberration correction reads " no data correction available" for the 100/400 ...and on my 750d it says it is available?.. I am a complete beginner as you might have guessed!

Comment

Really shouldn't make much difference. You could try another lens to see if you get the high ISO. What mode are you using M, Tv, Av?
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

Really shouldn't make much difference. You could try another lens to see if you get the high ISO. What mode are you using M, Tv, Av?
          Ah ok, well I've tried in all modes, even auto, as you can imagine, im really disappointed with the 7dmk2 if im not doing anything wrong...the 750d performs much better.

Comment

So on a fairly overcast dull day I’d expect 1/125 sec with f5.6 at ISO 100 ...you have a shutter speed of 4.5 stops faster so ISO of 4.5 stops increase is needed to ISO 2400...do you mean ISO64000 not 6400?
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Is this happening if you use live view?
              Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                Is this happening if you use live view?
                Hi Brian, yes, sorry, 6400, ive not tried live view, images are very grainy and dark when viewed on lcd and when sent across to my laptop, I thought it was the lcd a bit to dark to begin with, as said before, I hope I am doing something wrong as the images on the 750d with the same lens are very clear, appreciate your time with this.

thanks chester

Comment

Read ISO as 6400 in first post, didn't notice your typo. Anyway agree with comments that Brian has made.

I'd certainly try another lens, if you get same high ISO it might suggest something is wrong with the 7D2.

Comment

Are the contacts clean on the body/undamaged?
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                      Are the contacts clean on the body/undamaged?
                      Hi , yes all contacts seem good, I will try it on the stock lens that came with my 750d to see if that improves, 18/55

looking on other forums it would seem there are others that are having or had problems with dark, grainy images with this combination of 7dmk2 and 100/400 IS L USM II.

Disappointed of Devon!

Comment

Have you installed latest FW. IIRC there were some issues with some lenses.

Comment

Have you installed latest FW. IIRC there were some issues with some lenses.
                          Oh,, I don't know what that is ??...still very much a novice.

Comment

Firmware update...you can get it from the canon website

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

You normally download this from the canon website...look for updates...there should be instructions on the website on how to download and install ...just say if you have any difficulty and someone on here will have the answer...
                              Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Working...
                              X