Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CANON 7Dmk2

Link to download and instructions

Check version you have and latest available to see if you need to update.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I may be a bit late to the party but the current sunny conditions made me think... If you have concerns with exposure and the day is as bright as it is now, why not put on the standard zoom and set the camera to Sunny 16 settings and see how a few shots come out - that's manual mode, ISO 100, f16 and 1/100th. I just checked out with my Fuji which has a base ISO of 200 so 1/200th and the lighting works out well. By doing this you cut the cameras metering and control of settings out of the equation.

In case you're not aware of it, the Sunny 16 rule says on a bright and sunny day, at f16 your shutter speed should be the reciprocal of the ISO rating set.

If that works on your standard lens, switch to program mode, still at ISO 100 and see what the camera does. If it's off you may have a metering issue. If it's OK, then the camera would appear to be fine. In program mode you let the camera control the exposure so if it's metering is out, you should see it.

Then do the same with the 100-400 at 400mm and ISO 400, f16 and 1/400. If it works OK at these settings try program mode and see what happens. If there is a fault in the camera/lens interaction it should show here with a badly exposed shot.
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
        I may be a bit late to the party but the current sunny conditions made me think... If you have concerns with exposure and the day is as bright as it is now, why not put on the standard zoom and set the camera to Sunny 16 settings and see how a few shots come out - that's manual mode, ISO 100, f16 and 1/100th. I just checked out with my Fuji which has a base ISO of 200 so 1/200th and the lighting works out well. By doing this you cut the cameras metering and control of settings out of the equation.

In case you're not aware of it, the Sunny 16 rule says on a bright and sunny day, at f16 your shutter speed should be the reciprocal of the ISO rating set.

If that works on your standard lens, switch to program mode, still at ISO 100 and see what the camera does. If it's off you may have a metering issue. If it's OK, then the camera would appear to be fine. In program mode you let the camera control the exposure so if it's metering is out, you should see it.

Then do the same with the 100-400 at 400mm and ISO 400, f16 and 1/400. If it works OK at these settings try program mode and see what happens. If there is a fault in the camera/lens interaction it should show here with a badly exposed shot.
        Hi Andy, thanks for the post!, I have just seen it ,today tues, and the sun disappeared down here in Devon, I will try your suggestion when it next appears. didn't know about the sunny 16, I bought the 7d body only, but I have the stock 18/55 from the 750d I first started with??
        Thanks again and I will let you know the results. will also check if need to download any updates from canon as ant n Brian kindly suggested above.

Chester

Comment

Originally posted by CHESTER View Post
          Hi Andy, thanks for the post!, I have just seen it ,today tues, and the sun disappeared down here in Devon, I will try your suggestion when it next appears. didn't know about the sunny 16, I bought the 7d body only, but I have the stock 18/55 from the 750d I first started with??
          It’s always the way isn’t it :-(

Any Canon 18-55 will be fine as long as the mount is EF-S which it is on both the 7D2 and 750D so you should see no problems there.

Thanks again and I will let you know the results. will also check if need to download any updates from canon as ant n Brian kindly suggested above.

Chester
          No problem. Hopefully one of the suggestions will sort it out.
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Sunny 16 was good suggestion by Andy. Back in days of film it was always a good standby if you had no meter, in camera metering wasn't that common at one time. IIRC the leaflet that came with film also had base recommendations for other conditions like overcast.

Hope to you manage to resolve the issue with the 7D2, have one myself and its been a good addition to my kit. Not had any issues myself.
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

Well its taken a while to get back to this thread...
              after going through all the good advice I received on this forum I seem to be having some better results,,and of course ,lots more practice.
              I feel most of it was down to me not setting up right on manual...im having better results now whilst on auto iso, have loaded in a couple images that I think are ok for a beginer0K2A1518 (2).jpg

Comment

0K2A1433 (2).jpg

Comment

0K2A1459 (2).jpg

Comment

0K2A1128 (2).jpg

Comment

0K2A1132 (2).jpg

Comment

Quality of the images looks good though direct upload means slight loss of quality. Some general points, the coot is quite tight in the frame and would probably look a bit better with more space, bit more in front than else where.

The heron shots are quite nicely exposed and appear sharp, obvious issue is that the bird is flying away.

Squirrel shot is OK but due to depth of field the head and tail are slightly out of focus.

Posting via Flickr would also let us see what settings you've used (unless you post them).

Comment

Got to say there are pretty obvious haloes showing on these shots generally due to overshapening in p.p

Comment

Well spotted, not too obvious when I viewed on my phone but now I look closer can see exactly see what you mean.

Comment

Hi there
                              Thanks for the CC, the Heron shots were 1/2000 @f5.6 auto iso and the others were 1/250 @f5.6 auto iso hope I have expressed that correct. I really don't know much about editing, but now know not to sharpen to much. I don't have lightroom yet, I am currently using the built in programme on my HP OMEN 15 laptop, which is a bit like photoshop elements as far as I can see.
                              hope this helps?
                              Chester

Comment

Why not have a try using DPP4 as supplied on the disk that came with the camera (if it didn't come with a disk you can download the full version from Canon Europe). It may not be as versatile as Lightroom but it's surprisingly capable and designed specifically to handle Canon files. As an added bonus it opens raw files as per the picture style the camera used at the time which means you already have a good starting point to work from - indeed if you set up the picture styles to your taste you may have to do very little adjustment anyway.
                                Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
                                X