Plastic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plastic!

Ok not strictly content related but more on how that content is delivered....ie the magazine in the plastic wrapping.

With all the talk of plastic polluting the oceans etc, are there any plans for replacing the plastic wrap with something else? Perhaps a good old envelope that can be recycled more easily?

Would love to hear some feedback from Robert or the EOS Magazine team.

Re: Plastic!

One of the problems I foresee is that not everyone has a letterbox. I would far sooner read my copy of of EOS Magazine than walk through a pile of paper mâché.

However, my understanding is that Polythene and Polyethylene are easily recyclable, so shouldn't it be down to us to dispose of the outer sleeve responsibly?
    Colin

Comment

For those that don't have a letterbox, how much of their other mail turns to paper mache?

I get magazines from other sources that no longer arrive in plastic. And whilst some of us live in areas where plastic wrapping can be recycled, many don't.

Also, I'd rather see a reduction in the production of all plastics than let the producers wash their hands if it and put all of the responsibility of the consumer.
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Had my renewal and wish I could just do it online and keep the discount, I lost it I think last year.
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Just had my National Trust magazine delivered and the polythene outer sleeve has been replaced by one made from potatoe starch which can be composted.

John

Comment

I really enjoy getting EOS Magazine inside the plastic wrap. That said, it would be just as enjoyable inside a recyclable paper envelope/wrap of some sort. I agree with the efforts to reduce the use of plastics wherever we can. I'd pay a little extra for the paper wrap.

Comment

We used paper envelopes many years ago, but the magazine had to be inserted by hand - very slow.

The plastic wrap comes off a roll and is formed around the magazine and sealed in a continuous process - much faster and therefore less expensive.

We are investigating a bio-degradable wrap, similar to that used by the National Trust, but it depends on whether our printer - who also handles the despatch - can source it and work with it.
              Robert
              robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny48 View Post
                Just had my National Trust magazine delivered and the polythene outer sleeve has been replaced by one made from potatoe starch which can be composted.

John
                As is the WWT’s Waterlife magazine... worth a look at least...
                Cheers;
                Lee
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
                5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
                17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Working...
                X