Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

24-70mm 2.8 ...... Sigma Art or Canon ii ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24-70mm 2.8 ...... Sigma Art or Canon ii ?

Having had my 24-105 since my first 'proper' Canon Eos and having a bit of spare money i thought it was about time to get a newer carry about lense , i originally thought of the 24-105 ii but all the reviews seem to say it's not that much of an upgrade on the original so i started looking around at the 24-70's .
    Obviously the Canon gets outstanding reviews but for the lack of IS and the cost ! Though you can get it at HDEW for about £1,220 . About £1500 with cash back in normal shops at the moment .
    The Sigma seems to get mixed reviews ranging from Excellent to below par , it has just won a TIPA award for best standard zoom and comes in at about £1200 or less but has IS .
    I have nothing but praise for the 3 Sigma lenses i own but my question is has anyone use one or both and, have any thoughts on them ?
    Is it worth paying the extra for the Canon ?
    Thanks !
    Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60783975@N03/

Re: 24-70mm 2.8 ...... Sigma Art or Canon ii ?

I keep to Canon because of my probably irrational concern about future compatibility with newer bodies
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I have some Sigma lenses and love them, although I do not have this one so can't comment on it. I would say, however, that any worries about compatibility with future bodies should be minimal, since this lens is capable of being upgraded using the Sigma USB dock, and one advantage of Sigma lenses is that should you ever be daft enough to change systems (), you can pay for Sigma to change the mount.
      John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Good point...well made.
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I got the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8. It’s a lovely lens

Tom

Comment

Tom , is that the G2 ? I've been watching a few videos on Youtube nd the G2 is well thought of , one guy did a review of the Sigma and praised it , then later done a head to head between the Sigma , Tamron and Canon , shot the Sigma down and said the G2 pushed the Canon , infact having IS gave it an edge over the mark ii . After watching the videos i'm even more confused as to which way to go .
            Brian - i'm not bothered about future proofing as i doubt i'll go anywhere after the 5D4 and as John said the USB dock can update the lense and the mount can be changed in case of emergency !
            Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S

Comment

I must admit I'm a bit of a lens review geek - I find them really interesting even for lenses I would never buy/afford. I prefer the proper technical review sites rather than YouTube, I like charts, facts and figures. I'm a big fan of Sigma lenses and have two of the Art series, so it was disappointing to find that the 24 - 70 Art seems to be, by general agreement, the first one that isn't up to the usual standard. Good value, but doesn't match the camera brand ones, while most of the Art series are at least as good as, or often better than, the Canon/Nikon equivalents. The Tamron G2 is pretty new, so most of the main technical review sites haven't reviewed it yet, except for this :

which reckons it's pretty good.
              EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Cheers Richard , The video i was on about earlier rated the Tamron above the Sigma and even pushed the Canon , overtaking it on some photos because of the IS .
                Back when i had my first SLR (Yashica FR) Tamron was the go to third party lens , might be worth going back to.......
                The only thing stopping me from going for the Canon is the price (tho HDEW is always a tempting proposition....) and lack of IS .

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon_H View Post
                  Tom , is that the G2 ? I've been watching a few videos on Youtube nd the G2 is well thought of , one guy did a review of the Sigma and praised it , then later done a head to head between the Sigma , Tamron and Canon , shot the Sigma down and said the G2 pushed the Canon , infact having IS gave it an edge over the mark ii . After watching the videos i'm even more confused as to which way to go .
                  Brian - i'm not bothered about future proofing as i doubt i'll go anywhere after the 5D4 and as John said the USB dock can update the lense and the mount can be changed in case of emergency !
                  I compared the G2 w/the G1. Other then the build difference, there was not a significant difference in the performance. So since I could get my hands on a G1 for $750 vs the $1100 cost of a G2, I opted for the G1.

Tom

Comment

After much deliberation i finally went for the Tamron , i really would have liked the Sigma but there were just so many not so good reviews whereas the Tamron got loads of praise , hopefully it will be in my hands tomorrow and i will get to try it out at our visit to the KWVR this weekend .
                    If it's bad i'll just blame Tom.....

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon_H View Post
                      After much deliberation i finally went for the Tamron , i really would have liked the Sigma but there were just so many not so good reviews whereas the Tamron got loads of praise , hopefully it will be in my hands tomorrow and i will get to try it out at our visit to the KWVR this weekend .
                      If it's bad i'll just blame Tom.....
                      I’m pretty sure that you will be very pleased with your purchase so I’m not worried as I love mine.

Tom

Comment

Personally I think there is some inconsistency issues with Tamron. When one of their lenses was first reviewed by a magazine it came top of the group. Later, when in another group test, another sample came bottom of the group!

Comment

some inconsistency issues with Tamron
                          But how long ago was that? Third party lens manufacturers were behind in consistency, but in recent years they have made major strides and now are considered to match the camera manufacturers.
                          I like the Lensrental blog, because they test a lot of copies of each lens in detail. An interesting one is here :
                          A while back we ran Imatest resolution numbers on a few copies of the Canon 24-70 Mk II. That was right at release time and the resolution was most impressive, but we only had 5 copies available to test. Over the next couple of months a number of reviews came out. Most seemed to consider [...]

where they test the Canon 24 - 70 Mk II and compare it to the Mk 1. It shows that there is a good deal of copy to copy variation in both lenses, but that the worst of the Mk II is still better than the best of the Mk I. In fact, the Mk 1 isn't a great lens, but I'm sure there will be people saying "I've had that lens for years, and it's great, really sharp". Well, I prefer proper evidence, and this shows that it isn't that good. It also shows that testing one or two copies of any lens isn't that useful, here they tested 70 copies of the Mk II and 125 copies of the MK I, now that really is a good enough sample size to make meaningful comments about variation.
                          EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

the worst of the Mk II is still better than the best of the Mk I.
                            Very sound logic ................ even though I still have a MKI.
                            Colin

Comment

Working...
                            X