Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Hello all - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all

Hello
    I've just bought a pre-owned 550D and I'm getting an E-FS 18-55mm IS STM lens,my first foray into the world of DSLRs.
    The last SLR I had was in the 1990s,so I'm looking forward to finding out what my new kit can do.
    No doubt I'll be asking many questions in the weeks and months ahead.
    Oh,and if you're wondering where my screen name derives from,for many years before retiring,I worked permanent nights as a security supervisor.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2018, 12:14.

Re: Hello all

Hi Nighthawk and welcome to the Forum. Fire away your questions, if one on here don't know the answer someone else will. Look forward to seeing some of your pictures produced with your new kit.
    Things have come a long way since the the 1990 in the world of the DSLR.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Hi Trev and thanks for the nice welcome,
      Up to now I've been using a Fujifilm S8200 bridge camera,so the Canon will be a big step up.My 1990s SLRs were two Minolta 500Si Super bodies and a couple of Sigma lenses,one was a 28-80mm,and I forget what the telephoto was.
      I had the bodies mainly for airshows,keeping one loaded whilst using the other.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
        Graham

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing your images as well

Tom

Comment

Thanks for the welcome,I'm completely new to DSLR photography,so it will be quite some time before I post any images here I think.
            I need to get used to the camera before considering posting any,if that makes sense?

Comment

Might be a good idea to post a few to get some feedback from Forum members of where you are going wrong if at all.
              Remember we were all beginners once!
              Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Yes that sounds good to me Trev;
                I'm going to the Liverpool Tall Ships Regatta in a couple of weeks time,there will be lots to do apart from the ships themselves,so a good workout for the camera I think.
                I'll be trying out Creative Auto,also P mode,do you suggest I shoot jpeg or RAW?I'm confident using Lightroom(v.5.7.1 64bit)for post processing.Is it possible to use DPP for RAW,and then load them into Lightroom?
                Last edited by Guest; 08-05-2018, 21:55.

Comment

A quick question about posting images here;I've discovered that if I sign up for a flickr account,it messes up the email addresses I use on a regular basis,therefore I won't be using it.
                  So,is it possible to put them as attachments direct from my files,and,assuming you'll want to see the exif info,will you be able to access it from attachments?

Comment

Flickr simply gives you another email address, mine is totally separate from my main msn one, the yahoo one that came with Flickr I use just for Flickr related emails from other users etc and access it through my Flickr account.

As for attachments, I don't know.

Welcome to the forums, I look forward to seeing some of your work and you will find everyone helpful with tips, hints and useful critique.
                    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.
                      What I meant about Flickr and emails is,I have one yahoo address and one for Gmail.I use both daily,and need quick access to them for various reasons.
                      I tried signing up to Flickr first with yahoo and the address choice it asked me to generate,but then it meant I couldn't access my main one without a lot of hassle,so I deleted the Flickr account.I had the same problem with my Gmail address.
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-05-2018, 00:47.

Comment

Well we await developments, Flickr has been sold by Yahoo to smugmug so it may change, there are others like Flickr, just avoid Photobucket. could you not just use your current account with Flickr?
                        Last edited by TonyT; 09-05-2018, 11:48.
                        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I tried to use my current account but it won't let me.It's asking me to create a new Yahoo ID,which for reasons I've already given,I'm not going to do.
                          If all of this means I'm unable to upload images to the forum,then I guess I'll have to live with it.
                          Update;I've managed to sort it out by using a Gmail address that's not been used for a few years.
                          Last edited by Guest; 09-05-2018, 13:27.

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum , plenty of knowledge, experience and advice on here so get snapping , I only shoot RAW as it gives you much greater control of the finished photo as opposed to letting the camera make all the processing decisions for you with Jpegs, as you are familiar with Lightroom its a no brainer.
                            As Tony says the email address when you sign up is purely for your Flickr account and does not interfere with any other you might have , it is much better to upload from Flickr as the image quality when doing so is better than directly uploading the images as this methods tends to soften them badly.
                            Good luck and look forward to seeing some of your work
                            Steve ( LSINWP )
                            1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

Now posted in Miscellaneous

Comment

Working...
                              X