Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Some advice please re settings - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some advice please re settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some advice please re settings

In a couple of weeks from now,I'm going on a one day trip to the Liverpool Tall Ships Regatta.
    My intentions are;to get photos of the Beatles statues which are near the PierHead,likewise the Billy Fury statue.Also general"atmosphere"shots of the event ie people enjoying themselves,an indoor event featuring Irish dancing,and finally an outdoor circus act also musicians.Also a visit to one of the museums.I'm not too fussed about shots of the ships themselves.
    Any advice you could kindly give re camera settings/mode etc would be gratefully received please.
    Do I use full auto?Or Creative auto or which?Jpeg or Raw? Also to add,I have a cpl filter,and am aware of how to use it regarding reflections,saturating colours etc.
    Apologies if this thread is in the wrong section.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-05-2018, 23:08.

Re: Some advice please re settings

That is a good question because you stated that you cut your teeth on film, and this is your 1st entry into a DLSR. Next you stated you are going on a trip to capture some memory photos of your trip. IMO this is not an event you want to go and learn about the capabilities of your DLSR. Then you ask if you should do jpeg or raw. Not knowing how familiar you are with post processing or what you are using for your post processing I would go very conservative and say that let the camera do the processing for this event and go jpeg.

As for the settings, for this trip, I would recommend fully auto for those images you want for memory and focus on composition. If you have time to play, then I would recommend Aperture Priority (AV (Shutter and ISO auto)) to play with DOF and for motion Shutter Priority (TV (Aperture and ISO auto)).

To learn what your camera can do, IMO I would go out locally and take photos to learn what the camera can do and not do before taking it on a trip.

Tom

Comment

As Tom said go out and play - take lots of pictures note the sittings - it will come.
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Hi Tom,that's great advice thanks.
        I use Lightroom 5.7.1 for post processing,and am very comfortable with it all having used it now for quite a few years.
        So if I use Raw+jpg for one or two shots,and just jpeg for the bulk of them,all should be well.
        Trev..thanks for that.

Comment

While some aspects of digital SLR's are a bit different to the old film versions the basics are much the same. My first ever digital camera was a DSLR, a now very aged D30, because quite frankly I couldn't make any digital compact I had encountered do what I wanted - they all suffered from an excess of automated stupidity. At least the D30 had controls that operated exactly the same way as my EOS film bodies. OK getting to grips with concepts like white balance (mostly I left it in auto white to be honest), the amazing ability to change ISO at will and various custom functions did take a bit of time as did working out how to use Elements 2 but in all honesty it can seem more daunting than it is.

Memory is fairly cheap these days so why not take RAW + JPEG, this gives you JPEGs for instant use and RAW files for when you have the time to play around in Lightroom plus RAW can offer a potential lifeline if you have slight errors like wrong white balance or mild exposure mistakes.

If you were reasonably proficient with film cameras then the 550D should be fairly familiar even if it's been a few years. Personally I would avoid the full auto/scene modes as too limiting (you can't save raw files for a start) and stick with either the programme mode (P) ar aperture priority (A) as both offer a degree of automation but with the option of a bit of creative control.
          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thank you Nigel,I was reasonably good with film cameras,eg I knew that you could comfortably"push" a print film if needed re the ISO settings,transparency films needed accurate exposure etc,and for that,bracketing was needed.
            For tricky lighting situations,I did a lot of bracketing with my bridge camera,which generally gave me one good one out of three at plus and minus 1/3 stop each way.I'm sure at some point I'll be using that on my DSLR.

I'll give RAW + Jpeg a try for a few shots,but until I learn how to process RAW properly,I'm going to stick with mainly Jpegs for now,mainly because I'm happy using Lightroom for them.Regarding the modes suggestions,I'll do what you advise and use P and also Av,but as I 'll be taking potentially over 100 shots on the day,I'll also try full auto mode and some in Tv too.All of those will give me a good idea of what's best to use on other occasions.

It's been many years since I've had a chance to use a C-Pol filter(no filter thread on the bridge camera of course)so I'm very keen to give it a go this time around.From what I've read they can effectively be used also as an ND filter,am I right in assuming that my 550D will automatically compensate for any loss of light?
            Last edited by Guest; 10-05-2018, 13:13.

Comment

the worst possible thing you can do is leave it till the day to find out what does what ,it sounds like your making a special day of this so I would be out playing around every hour of the day and night till its second nature . personally in your situation I would forget raw and just use the green square setting ,take a few pics for now and if not good enough there are plenty of variations/settings to your j.peg menu built into the camera . to leave it till the day then hope RAW will salvage it is a fools paradise

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                the worst possible thing you can do is leave it till the day to find out what does what ,it sounds like your making a special day of this so I would be out playing around every hour of the day and night till its second nature . personally in your situation I would forget raw and just use the green square setting ,take a few pics for now and if not good enough there are plenty of variations/settings to your j.peg menu built into the camera . to leave it till the day then hope RAW will salvage it is a fools paradise
                Sounds like good advice to me,I'll take it all the advice given so far onboard then go from there thanks.
                I will try to visit a local park next week,there are small fountains,a small museum and caged birds,plus a carillon tower,which has a military museum inside,but I think it's only open on weekends.
                Also,I have the Great Central Railway within easy distance,which is one for the future.
                Last edited by Guest; 10-05-2018, 16:26.

Comment

I shall probably be there myself ,depending on weather ,there’s a steam on the dock weekend there tomorrow as well,might brush the cobwebs off the m3 LOL

Comment

I won't be at the railway for the forseeable future,though their station at Loughborough is easy to get to for me.

Comment

Mixed messages ,steam on the dock at Liverpool sat/sun

Comment

That's ok,although it got me wondering why I couldn't remember seeing any docks at the Great Central..

Comment

I have a cpl filter,and am aware of how to use it regarding reflections,saturating colours etc.It's been many years since I've had a chance to use one of these filters,so I'm very keen to give it a go this time around.From what I've read they can effectively be used also as an ND filter(?) and am I right in assuming that my 550D will automatically compensate for any loss of light?

Comment

Originally posted by The Nighthawk View Post
                            From what I've read they can effectively be used also as an ND filter(?) and am I right in assuming that my 550D will automatically compensate for any loss of light?
                            Typically a polariser loses you about 2 stops of light depending on it's position so yes it can serve as a mild ND filter at a squeeze. Your 550D will automatically compensate for any losses as will any other camera using through the lens metering (there aren't many around these days that don't).
                            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Update;Since going through my images from the weekend just gone of an RAF parade,I'm happy shooting solely in RAW for the Liverpool event,purely because of the amount of control available in post processing.
                              Also I'll be using M mode so as to have control over shutter speed and aperture settings etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X