Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Some advice please re settings - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some advice please re settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some advice please re settings

Well done you seem to have cracked it.
    Any compressed format will be throwing away massive amounts of data. Shooting in Jpeg is fine until you want to undertake complex editing at which time the missing data will make a significant difference. Why are people so obsessed with small files. I shoot everything in RAW and have done so ever since I bought my first 10D. I create Jpegs for web and for pictures that I give to other people, I don't store any Jpegs. The pictures I edit are stored as PSD files. Disc space is ridiculously cheap as are memory cards. Why spend a fortune on a camera only to chuck away most of the data it produces.
    A JPEG file can have a maximum of 16,777,216 tones a RAW file from a modern DSLR can have 2,415,919,104. Do you really want to chuck out almost 2.4 billion tones in you images, I certainly don't.
    Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Thanks Alan,my technique is still far from perfect,but I learn more each time.
      I fully agree with you re using RAW and all the advantages it has.
      Edited to add the RAW files I import into Lightroom are automatically converted to DNG files,then back to jpeg when I export them to save in folders.
      Roy
      Last edited by Guest; 30-05-2018, 11:52.

Comment

Originally posted by SpringfieldPhoto View Post
        ...I don't store any Jpegs. The pictures I edit are stored as PSD files. Disc space is ridiculously cheap as are memory cards. Why spend a fortune on a camera only to chuck away most of the data it produces.
        Now I do store JPEGs and the PSD files and the original RAWs, as you say memory today is pretty cheap. I keep the JPEGS becuase I'm lazy and can't be bothered to recreate the JPEG form the PSD file every time I want a copy. I also keep JPEGs from those times when I record both - either because I need a quick version immediately or because the cameras raw format is not supported by my ancient version of PS...
        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
        X