• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kenilworth Castle

Kenilworth 07 by Stackman1, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Chris

Re: Kenilworth Castle

I have a feeling this would look better in colour to be honest. The light isn't favourable and as a result the tonal range is a bit flat though a bit of work on contrast values would probably help. I suggest losing most of the foreground grass as well, this will give it more of a panoramic feel.

As shown the image isn't really floating my boat, sorry...
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks Nigel.

Can't get the hang of B&W in digital, I had put a red filter on, that would usually give the contrast. Then I did a colour version, have cropped the grass as suggested.

Kenilworth 07a by Stackman1, on Flickr

Chris

Comment

I prefer the BW image and think if you work on the contrast would make it stronger

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Stackman View Post
          Thanks Nigel.

Can't get the hang of B&W in digital, I had put a red filter on, that would usually give the contrast. Then I did a colour version, have cropped the grass as suggested.

Kenilworth 07a by Stackman1, on Flickr

Chris
          From this I assume you mean you used a red filter on the lens? Will this works on B&W film it doesn't really work at all on digital. The problem with a digital camera is that they are colour cameras by default. The image you see on screen is created by interpolating data from the RGB sensor pixels. With mono film and a red filter the blue and green light doesn't get through so those areas of the film underexpose resulting in dark areas in the print and higher contrast as shadows tend toward the blue end on the tonal range. With digital the interpolation means that if there is no blue or green light the image pixels will be more or less equally biased toward the red across the image and hence no contrast improvement.

The only digital cameras I know of where the red and orange etc. filters work are the Leica Monochroms. These lack any Bayer colour filter on the sensor and no interpolation algorithms. If the pixels sees little light that's what it records and there is no influence from it's neighbours at all - pretty much like mono film.

All my mono work is derived from the original colour frame and converted in post either directly in Camera Raw or subsequently in PS. This does take a bit of work and is more involved than merely de-saturating the image. I normally use the B&W filter options in CS3, sometimes more than one, and then adjust local exposure & contrast in the same way as one would dodge and burn in the darkroom.

I had a quick go at the colour version and came up with this...

Untitled.jpg
          Nigel

Comment

Thank you Nigel. That explains what I was doing wrong. I will try on the computer to see if I can make it better. Yours gives me some pointers.

Does this work any better? Different photo but changed to monochrome on DPP4

Kenilworth by Stackman1, on Flickr

Chris
            Last edited by Stackman; 11-05-2018, 16:12.

Comment

I like the colour version more than the original mono....for what its worth my technique is to shoot as colour, convert to mono in Lightroom and then play with the colour sliders - I think the Blue luminance would have darkened the sky adequately.....also instead of relying on the contrast slider I'd use the Clarity brush on the stonework. And use the black slider to get some deep blacks....which you probably don't need in these shots
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by Stackman View Post

Does this work any better? Different photo but changed to monochrome on DPP4

Kenilworth by Stackman1, on Flickr

Chris
                That one works well though for personal taste I'd up the contrast a bit to get a bit more bite in the sky.

Do you have PS? I'm not sure about Elements but the B&W adjustment layer in full version offers a bunch of preset filter effects (like red, green, yellow, IR etc) which you can apply as is or adjust manually. Better still using layer masks you can apply different filters to different parts of the image - I quite often use the red option masked for skies and then finish of with perhaps the yellow or green option for the rest of the image.

I also use a lot of selective local contrast adjustments and burn or dodge using a blank layer set to overlay using the brush at around 3-5% opacity and set to black or white respectively.
                Nigel

Comment

Interesting thread this, I prefer the B&W with the grass cropped off, plenty to experiment with on LR

Paul

Comment

Thanks all for the comments. I only use the software which came with the camera (DPP4), not a great fan of sitting in front of the computer, do too much of that at work. But thanks to Robert Scott who sent over the article from the magazine, I've had another go at some monochrome processing.

Original colour

BP 17a by Stackman1, on Flickr

just converted to monochrome

knight03 by Stackman1, on Flickr

Then added the green filter option

Red Knight by Stackman1, on Flickr

Interested to see the differences. I think I prefer the last one, but the wife likes the colour, each to their own.

I haven't tried any of the other options yet.

Thanks for looking

Chris

Comment

Working...
                    X