Postcard opportunity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Postcard opportunity

I have had an interesting e-mail this morning. :)

A bit of background first. Last week visited my local nature reserve and was sat in the hide photographing the birds when a ranger popped in to say hello. She asked what I did with my photos after I had taken them. So of course I mentioned my website. She asked if I would share some with the park website to which I agreed.

When I returned home, I found she had linked to my site from hers, very nice. :)

I followed up with a thank you, and sent a sample photo that I had taken that day to see if she liked it. She passed the e-mail and photo on to her boss.

Today I get the following message...

"Thank you very much indeed for this!. Your photo is quite stunning.

Actually, Carol, I’ve just had a thought.

Would you consider doing a series of photos which we turn into post cards to be sold at the Kingfisher Café (a/k/a the “KAF”)?
    We tried once before but they were amateur photos which just didn’t have the style necessary. We fund the manufacturer and split the profit on the sale to Sadie at the KAF.

Something to think about any way.

Edward"

It doesn't sound as though I would get paid, but it would be published work with my name on which might get the name out there. What do you all think? Go ahead?
    Regards,

Carol

Canon 5D mk ii, iii and 7D mk 2, 100-400mm L IS II, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Canon L 100mm macro, Canon L 24-105mm, Canon 50mm f1.8,

Re: Postcard opportunity

I would, it sounds like an interesting project. Make sure they give you a set of the postcards!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you. Yes, I would certainly ask for some of the postcards. :)
      Regards,

Carol

Canon 5D mk ii, iii and 7D mk 2, 100-400mm L IS II, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Canon L 100mm macro, Canon L 24-105mm, Canon 50mm f1.8,

Comment

Sometimes it not about the money, so I would say go for it. Sounds like a worthy cause.

Tom

Comment

What they said!
          Chris
          80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thank you Tom and Chris. I think I will go for it. :)
            Regards,

Carol

Comment

It sounds a wonderful idea and as Tom mentioned; it's not about the money.

I would grant them 12 months UK rights to use the images for their publicity and to sell to the public as post cards. They are not to give, loan, or sell the images to any third party organisation, or business without prior written permission. Furthermore, each image used shall bear the byline of the photographer.
              Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                It sounds a wonderful idea and as Tom mentioned; it's not about the money.

I would grant them 12 months UK rights to use the images for their publicity and to sell to the public as post cards. They are not to give, loan, or sell the images to any third party organisation, or business without prior written permission. Furthermore, each image used shall bear the byline of the photographer.
                IMHO Colin has suggested a sensible and professional approach, that would be to the benefit of both parties.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
                Peter

Feel free to browse my
                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Thank you all so much. Yes, I like the idea of setting a time limit and product stipulation, thanks Colin.
                  Regards,

Carol

Comment

1st off, well done Carol

I agree with what everyone has said and having them as postcards also works as an advert for your work, a win win situation all round and it helps the reserve to boot. You must be as pleased as punch.

I would add a rider that at the end of the 12 month period this may be extended etc subject to agreement by both parties, that way you are giving them leeway on the stock they produce and also protecting yourself if you feel it isn't working out.
                    Last edited by TonyT; 05-06-2018, 21:13.
                    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thank you Tony. That makes a lot of sense.
                      Regards,

Carol

Comment

It was the thought that as a small business 12 months might not be enough time to sell the stock they will need to produce to get a return and by offering the extension possibility you are giving them breathing room if they have remaining stock etc while covering yourself, it could be a fruitful experience on both sides :).
                        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
                        X