Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Tips please for military parade - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips please for military parade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips please for military parade

This Sunday,the RAF are holding a parade in my City.
    The location will mean that participants will be just a few feet away from me,and consisting of serving personnel,cadets,and veterans,all led by an RAF band.The weather forecast is given as sunny intervals for the day.
    A saluting base will be in use,so,any ideas re the following will be most welcome please;I've read that a shutter speed of around 1/250th would be ok,aperture of f8,and Highlight Tone Priority can be used.All of these in M mode.
    I was thinking of using RAW+L and using AI focus,to adapt to moving subjects.
    If possible I'll be slightly ahead of the saluting base so as to capture the moments when the"eyes left"(or right)commands are given.
    All hints and tips will be gratefully appreciated please.

Re: Tips please for military parade

That looks like a good choice of setting...I assume auto ISO with 1/250th and f8....should be good maybe f11 if they are really close...and 18-55mm lens.
    If constantly moving then maybe servo focus would be better...as I think AI servo assumes the subject is still and changes if moves are detected...
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Brian it looks like I've made the right choice.
      Re focus,would a mixture of One Shot and servo work..depending on the circumstances?I'll select auto ISO rather than highlight tone priority if you think that would be better?
      Last edited by Guest; 17-05-2018, 22:24.

Comment

I only tend to set highlight tone priority for weddings where there will be white that could easily be blown. You can keep that set and use auto ISO I think...it just means the lowest ISO will be 200 not 100.

Alternatively you could try some test shots and set the ISO manually as well as aperture and shutter speed....its not a problem unless there are lots of clouds blowing over and changing the brightness of the scene.
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Noooooo I shouldn't, Stand on the right of the parade and as they draw level shout at the top of your voice and in a clear commanding voice "parade, eyeees right..... " And they will all look at you........ Muuuuhahahahahaaa
          Last edited by TonyT; 18-05-2018, 22:25.
          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks Brian,I'll give all of those a try,I'll have plenty of time for test shots first,and then see what works best.
            Good idea Tony,and very tempting...however,the Air Chief Marshall will be taking the salute and might not be too impressed..

Comment

And if you don't get the shot shout "Parade.... About turn...... " And have another go
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X