Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 A few from today's RAF parade in Leicester - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few from today's RAF parade in Leicester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few from today's RAF parade in Leicester

IMG_0024-2 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr
    IMG_0023-2 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr
    IMG_0022-2 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr
    IMG_0015-2 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr
    IMG_0014-2 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr
    IMG_0029 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr
    IMG_0036 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr
    The last but one is of the Lord Lieutenant(out-going)of Leicestershire,Jennifer,Lady Gretton,and Air Chief Marshall Sir Stephen Hillier.
    Comments and critiques welcomed
    Last edited by Guest; 21-05-2018, 15:08.

Re: A few from today's RAF parade in Leicester

Nicely done, need to watch you leveling, unless the last two images was intended to be tilted

Tom

Comment

Good set, Tom is right about the levels though. Lot of Medals on show

Paul

Comment

Thanks Tom and Paul,the levelling was me being over-enthusiastic in Lightroom,easily remedied though.I've also realised that I should have used f11 for number 5 as well instead of f5.6,lesson learned.
        I've learnt that RAW is the way to go for such occasions for the amount of control it gives you in post processing.
        Yes Paul lots of medals on show for RAF 100 celebrations.
        Last edited by Guest; 21-05-2018, 11:12.

Comment

So where were they from as there are no pilots amongst them bar one, looks like Queens Colour Sqn was doing the parade by the F/Sgt there.

Good set, Tom is right about the levels though. Lot of Medals on show
          A lot of medals but when you look at them are just run of the mil bog standard stuff, gold jubilee, diamond jubilee and long service and good conduct that are awarded for just for being in the services, there are few GSM's the odd Afghan / Iraq ones an MBE and a DFC.

The Gold and Diamond were awarded to everyone, when I was still in they decided to give each station a few silvers at the time to distribute, each section were given a couple that were just handed out who was deemed "honoured" lol, I heard some sections held raffles / drew them out of a hat.

The gulf war ones and afghan also sadly attracted medal tourist I heard in that senior officers would appear on some pointless reason to collect some bling, you would also qualify for some medals (Syria?) for serving in Cyprus etc.

The chap wearing the blue cap in civi's is wearing a NI GSM by the looks of it, the same one I have which I would never wear as Aldergrove was a safe base compared to the crud the Army put up with out there.

So. Don't let the bling always fool you, they are often not awarded for daring doo's, But don't get me wrong some of them will have earned their theatre medals, the Rock Ape for one.

The interesting one is the chap taking the parade appears to have a bronze star.
          Last edited by TonyT; 21-05-2018, 21:46.
          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

The main ones were from RAF Wittering,and thanks for the comprehensive info on the medals,very informative.The band was from the RAF College.
            What rank is the female officer in image No.2?And which/what is a Rock Ape?
            Here are some more,admittedly not properly processed yet,so apologies..

IMG_0021-2 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr
            IMG_0062 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr
            IMG_0025 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr
            Last edited by Guest; 22-05-2018, 00:29.

Comment

The second picture you just posted with the guy with a pace stick, Station Warrant Officers in charge of discipline (SWO) are normally a WO rank but it appears a F/Sgt Rock is fulfilling his role. Rock is RAF Regiment and are responsible for airfield defence, he has RAF Regiment "mudguards" on the top of his sleeves the pace stick he is carrying is the emblem of a SWO and folds out like a compass so you can measure out paces for marching.

He is wearing the GSM General service medal possibly the accumulated service one, the Iraq medal Gold and diamond jubilee and long service good conduct one (15) years I think.
              Last edited by TonyT; 22-05-2018, 01:13.
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

She is a Squadron Leader, the curtain tiebacks on her shoulder indicate she is the ADC which is Aide De Camp or to put it in Civilian terms personal assistant to the senior officer that was present.

Last edited by TonyT; 22-05-2018, 09:12.

Comment

Thanks for all that info Tony,I already knew about pace sticks,my dad,grandad and great grandad plus a cousin served in the Coldstream Guards so I was brought up with all of that.
                  Who would the two in the last photo be?
                  Roy
                  Last edited by Guest; 22-05-2018, 11:30.

Comment

The significance of aiguillettes on the ADC is that the wearer has something with which to tie up his master's horse,seemingly the first duty of an ADC ?

Re the last two it looks like at least one is RAF Regiment, possibly both.

Comment

That's brilliant thanks,having all that info has made the event all the more interesting for me.
                      I had two uncles who served in the RAF during WW2,and through one of them got used to hearing the quick march(Per Ardua ad Astra?)being played on records when I was very young,so hearing the band play it as they approached the saluting base..I knew a change of tune was coming after the five bass drum beats..was inspiring.
                      The ACM was awarded the United States Bronze Star in 2003 for Iraq ops,and the DFC in 1993 for operations over Iraq..good old Google for that info.
                      Last edited by Guest; 22-05-2018, 20:11.

Comment

Yes, not all foreign medals are permitted to be worn, I believe there was a medal awarded by some countries involved in the Middle East and possibly Rhodesia's hand over that were not allowed to be worn, you're medals are worn in order of medal rank so a VC would be first then a DFC etc downwards, then and only after the lowest ranking uk medal is worn approved foreign medals are added in their order, so a bronze star which is the higher side of US medals is worn last on a UK uniform. It surprise me that my GSM is higher than the Iraq. / afghan ones, I still cannot figure why.

Glad it helps add to it :)
                        Last edited by TonyT; 23-05-2018, 00:26.

Comment

Thanks again Tony,brilliant info!You were right about the two in combat gear,I've had a look at 1:1 in LR and both are Rock Apes.
                          Here's another of them,I presume the thick set one is an SWO because of his pace stick?
                          IMG_0053-4-2 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                          X