Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bradley Manor in mono

Not the steam engine but the house!

While my car was in a local garage I took a wander around a nearby park in the centre of which is National Trust property Bradley Manor. It was open to the public but I only had time for a quick look outside and take a couple of shots.

I only had my G10 with me and, while I think it performed quite well, the bright sunlight and that the walls had a recently applied coat of white paint made for a very contrasty result and a mono conversion seemed to work best. I was planning to return today armed with the 5D3/16-35 but the weather has changed so maybe next week :-(

Anyway, here's what I have for now:

IMG_5399-Edit by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
    John

Re: Bradley Manor in mono

An interesting image John - it is a little surreal, almost an infra-red feel about it!
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Thanks John, I know just what you mean.

It was a difficult shot as everything was so bright so I used 1/2000th at ISO 80 and -1 compensation. This produced an image where the far wall (the brightest part of the image) was true but underexposed everything else and it was the lifting of these shadows that resulted in the metallic, IR, 'surreal' effect further exacerbated by the mono conversion.

Had I been more prepared (I hadn't planned to be there) I'd have used a DSLR with which I could have bracketed but I only had the G10 with me.

But... I'll be back

Cheers,
      John

Comment

I'm probably teaching Grandpa to suck eggs....... but did you consider a selective uplifting of just the building shadows with the adjustment brush in LR? This might have given a properly exposed building against a dark background.
        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Nice shot John, but as the other John pointed out, using the Dodge/Burn tool in the Adjustment helps you fine tune your adjustments to where you want the darker shadows and brighter high lites.

Tom

Comment

That's fine just as it is... I rather like the slightly IR effect as you might imagine...
            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks John, Tom and Nigel

Yes I could have worked on it and even synthesised some different exposures for HDR but always wanted it to be a dramatic mono image so was happy with the result.

I've also been rather short of time lately (hence not visiting here - have you all missed me?) but will be returning to this manor soon and put a bit more effort into the processing.

For interest, here's the mildly processed colour version before Silver Efex had it's wicked way with it:

IMG_5399 by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
              John

Comment

Working...
              X