Buttermilk Falls (Falls, Pa)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buttermilk Falls (Falls, Pa)

Today I took a driver to Falls, Pa to photograph a waterfalls I haven't seen before. The falls is also known as the Browns Mill Falls.

This is a 30 foot (9.144 meters) Cascading fall and is a 2 tiered falls. Access to the falls is from the roadside. There was a little parking area right off of Hobby Road. To get to the upper falls, you need to cross over the bridge that goes over Butter Creek, then Climb down under the bridge to get a nice view of the falls. You can see the upper falls from the bridge. The Lower Falls, you need to climb down. Access is next to the parking area right off of Hobby Road. It is a steep and wet climb down, but the view is worth the climb.

Taken with the 6DMKII and the Tamron 24-70mm SP1

Upper Section:

IMG_8063.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

Lower Section:

IMG_8069.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

Comments Welcomed

Tom

Re: Buttermilk Falls (Falls, Pa)

Really pretty falls Tom. The only thing I see is the darkness of the right side. I don't know if you have an ND Gradual filter but the big lighting difference may have been one of those moments that called for it.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/23748789@N02/

Comment

Thanks for the feedback H20Junkie

Comment

Tend to agree with H2O, the dark areas are a bit heavy. Did these start as raw files Tom? If so I think the shadows could be improved considerably. Certainly worth doing with the Lower falls as it's a cracking composition.
        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Nigel

Comment

I would be interested to see if it can effectively be done via post processing Nigel. The problem I see is the darks are pretty dark. That usually is an indicator of lost data.

Comment

Originally posted by H2OJunkie View Post
              I would be interested to see if it can effectively be done via post processing Nigel. The problem I see is the darks are pretty dark. That usually is an indicator of lost data.
              Yes Chris, the data is there. I processed this to bring your eye to the falls, here is there redo to open the shadows for you:

IMG_8069.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

Tom

Comment

Here is another view of the falls:

IMG_8065.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

Tom

Comment

And the upper falls reprocessed:

IMG_8063.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

Tom

Comment

Good job Tom but the fence at the top kills it.

Comment

Beautiful falls, Tom and well composed. If I hadn't come late to the party then I'd not have seen the feedback so quite nice to see the shots before & after the critique. The reprocessed lower falls is excellent although I agree that cloning out the fence would slightly improve what is already a good shot
                      Chris
                      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks H2O and Chris for stopping by again. Yes, I would have to agree that it is a shame that the state had to place a bridge across the falls and spoil the view so that cars could traverse across without getting swept down stream and into the Susquehanna River. I'll write to my state rep and complain.

Comment

Cracking shots Tom and strangely enough I don't mind the darkness on the RHS, to me it focuses the eye on the important part of the shot

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pelliott1954 View Post
                            Cracking shots Tom and strangely enough I don't mind the darkness on the RHS, to me it focuses the eye on the important part of the shot

Paul
                            Not trying to put this on top, but thanks Paul for the input and I agree with your input

Comment

Lovely shots Tom, I almost want to get into the water.
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X