Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Challenge No 143 - Something out of place...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge No 143 - Something out of place...

I am posting this quickly after the results of the last competition, as I am going away near the end of June, so want to give as much time as possible to you all and judge the results before I go - otherwise, you might be waiting ages...so here goes:

Have you ever walked down the road / lane / country path and seen a scene or item and thought...oh, that really shouldnt go there...well now's the time to take a picture of it. I am looking for pictures of the most obscure and out of place item that you can find (or set up).

Try to refrain from putting the title as the item that is out of place, but instead give me a little clue to see if I can see what it is - the more obscure, the better (I may have to PM you and ask you when I really cant work it out LOL).

Example:
    - a man walking down the road, carrying a lead and a tennis ball...but a cats walking by the side of him...
    - a football/soccer team line up where the team are wearing Liverpool shirts, except the goalkeeper - who seems to be wearing a Real Madrid shirt...(sorry any Liverpool fans).

Judging will be based on the following-
    * fulfilling the brief- the more obscure out of place the item is, the better
    * a good photo based on composition, focus and consideration to the light.
    * Having impact. Will I remember your image after I go away from the computer?

I am no expert judge (or photographer), but I will do my best to give friendly and constructive comments and find a winner based on my criteria stated above.

For those new or shy on this forum, I particularly encourage you to enter. Hopefully in doing so you will challenge yourself and have a bit of fun at the same time.

The usual rules apply:
    • The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon DSLR.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

Closing date for entries is midnight Friday 22nd June.....this gives three weekends between now and then.

I go on holiday on 24th June so I will try to judge it and write comments on Sat 23rd. Hence the quick post of subjectand only 3 and a bit weeks for completion. Otherwise, it will drag on until 2nd week in July so hopefully its not too quick a deadline for you all. 3 weeks Friday (22nd June.)

Have fun and have a go!
    Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Re: Challenge No 143 - Something out of place...

Bump to to bring it to the fore.......
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

One to get the ball rolling, not been out much sorry.

"Nature always finds a way" Concrete block.
      Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Now home to Liverpool's Radio City, this was originally a revolving restaurant with an observation platform.

RadioCity_9580
        by
        Stephen Thompson
        , on Flickr

Taken from Duke Street. No jiggery-pokery - it simply depends on your point of view (and powers of observation).

Steve.
        Last edited by powernapper; 11-06-2018, 13:32. Reason: Update info

Comment

Just bumping this again as it’s the last weekend coming up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Andy
          Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
          EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II

Comment

Out of Plaice.

4S7A1603 (3) by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

I'm a lonely little Petunia (in an onion patch) Maurie Hartmann (1946)

EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Wow, tough one, Andy, but that's a good thing.

Gate to nowhere
                by AlexR!, on Flickr
                Canon EOS 7D
                EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Eggs by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
                  Chris
                  80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Footloose

[IMG]Footloose by Barbara Bett, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

New meaning to underbrush:

IMG_8428.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

Comment

where did you come from? by Ian, on Flickr
                        Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Firstly, thank you everyone for making the effort on this one - I know I picked an awkward subject so didnt expect a rush of entries, but must say very impressed with all of them.

I am sorry but rushing around preparing for my Jamaica holiday (and yes the wife chose to come as well, I didnt make her..).

Therefore, whilst I would love to comment on each picture individually, I have only picked out my top 3.

In third place:

"Nature aways finds a way" - David Stallard.

Oh David - this must have been such a difficult picture for you as the weed is completely still....was half expecting a picture of some rally cars overtaking a horse and cart...LOL. Really clear image, cant miss the main subject and so bloody annoying how those weeds seemed to appear from no where on concrete drives / paths / roads.

In second place (although this was the wifes first choice and it was a close choice for me)

RadioCity_9580 - powernapper.

I think this is really good - I did actually have to look twice. Such a great illusion from the angle that you taken this - to make it appear out of place and even better with the stress cracks on the actual house under the chimney looking as if its straining under the weight.

And finally, first place goes to:

Gate to nowhere - AlexR!

It is literally a big wrought iron gate...appearing to be absolutely nowhere. As if someone just decided whilst out for a walk in the wild countryside / mountains to just build one for the sheer fun of it...

Nice positioning, lovely clear image, might have cropped a little more off the bottom to "hide" the souble tracks a little more but still works for me. I wonder how long a walk you want on to find these...or are they yours...

Well done - over to alexR for the next challenge.

Thanks all for entering and sorry I didnt have time to comment on all.
                          Andy
                          Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

Thanks for setting such a great subject Andy, have a great holiday, looking forward to some shots from that. Well done Alex, look forward to your challenge. Dave

Comment

Congratulations to Alex -a fine shot showing us the entrance to his mansion(!) and a worthy winner

Thumbs up too to Steve and David

Thanks for setting and judging Andy ... and I trust you are on that plane as I write. Is it too early for a pina colada?

Comment

Working...
                              X