Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice re DoF please

[QUOTE=...
    3.The sensor size doesn’t have any direct effect on the depth of field.
    However, as APS-C and smaller sensors have the effect of altering the field of view of a lens, shorter focal length lenses are used in order to get the same field of view as a traditional full frame camera, therefore the depth of field for a given field of view will be greater.
    APERTURE
    /QUOTE]

Not entirely so = larger sensors tend to have smaller pixels, which affect the circle of confusion and therefore the perceived range of acceptable focus. Perhaps a minor factor, but nevertheless one to consider along with the other comments.

Regarding the longer lens, based on my experience with a 70 - 200 f2.8, that background would have been very blurred at, say f2.8, provided that you had a reasonable distance betweeen the camera and the subject.

Martin

Comment

Originally posted by The Nighthawk View Post
      The lens I've now decided to order this weekend is the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM which I think will be a good general purpose one.
      An excellent choice
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Out of interest, MPB have the 55-250mm for £79 at the moment, used but in good condition here: https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equip...mm-f-4-5-6-is/

I have no connection with MPB but have bought used from them on a number of occasions and they offer a good service and their assessment of the kit they sell tends to underplay the condition, i.e. it’s better than they say on the site.
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally Posted by The NighthawkThe lens I've now decided to order this weekend is the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM which I think will be a good general purpose one.

An excellent choice
          Indeed, I have the earlier USM version and found it to be remarkably capable.
          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Larger sensors i.e full frame sensors have larger pixels than APS-C or smaller sensors with the same pixel count and not smaller as Martin stated. The effect on circle of confusion is minimal and can be disregarded in relation to DOF. The comment I made relates to DOF as you are likely to see it at normal viewing magnifications for any sensor size..
            Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Yes I thought that too Alan....with maybe the exception of the 5DS which has smaller photosites than perhaps some older lower resolution APSC sensors.
              But cameras of similar resolution it’s always true of course.
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

To be very technical if you use two cameras, one full frame 20 mega pixel and one APS-c 20 mega pixel and take identical images with each, i.e. the same field of view the pixel size will have zero effect if the images are viewed at the same size (say A4). The depth of field, however will be different as the focal length required to create the same field of view will be different. This is pure science.
                Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Hi, I found this thread as I too have a depth of field (hyperfocal) question.

From my reading and looking the the various calculators, I have PhotoPills, am I correct to understand that it does not matter which lens, of which type I am using, it is just the focal length that is important. For example, if I set an EFS 18-135 and an EF 24-105 to 100mm on my 600D do I get the same depth of field for the same aperture?

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by iwaddo View Post
                    Hi, I found this thread as I too have a depth of field (hyperfocal) question.

From my reading and looking the the various calculators, I have PhotoPills, am I correct to understand that it does not matter which lens, of which type I am using, it is just the focal length that is important. For example, if I set an EFS 18-135 and an EF 24-105 to 100mm on my 600D do I get the same depth of field for the same aperture?

Thank you for your help.
                    In a word, yes.
                    Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

All I can say is the singer is playing a G in the open position in you nice picture. Depth of field? who needs it. Experience says...............when you want it you always have the wrong lens on the camera and cant not get enough. When you don't want it, somehow you contrive to have too much and you still have the wrong lens on the camera. Even with the zoom you will find that you are on 2.8 when you actually need f16. When you on f16 then you find your shutter speed is to slow. There is no end to it. DOF simply put means to tip one hat to folks who know more than you. Nuf said.

Comment

Originally posted by nickorando View Post
                        In a word, yes.
                        Thank you

Comment

Working...
                        X