Sky Arts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sky Arts

Is anyone else watching Sky Arts Photographer of the Year? New series.

Sky Arts

Watched portrait artist of the year but not seen photographer one. Is it the Master of Photography program? If so, just series linked. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Re: Sky Arts

I watched the first two series but not yet started S3, although like Andy I have it on series link. There's some interesting stuff on there but mainly I just watch the bits where they're out & about trying different options for the task. I rarely agreed with the judging but there are always things to learn so I tried not to fast-forward through those bit too much!
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Watched it last year and honestly though it was a bit pants. Judges/experts seemed to have very set ways about how things should be done. Contestants were quite poor too bar one or two.
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
          Watched it last year and honestly though it was a bit pants. Judges/experts seemed to have very set ways about how things should be done. Contestants were quite poor too bar one or two.
          So, my wife and I watched the first episode yesterday - having watched all of the preceding series. We watch mainly because every now and then we pick up something interesting in the approach but also for those moments where the photographers let something slip through their fingers. In series one that was Michael Madsen telling a chap that Tarantino "took away his smile". Said chap then shot him looking miserable. With my wife and I shouting at him for being a muppet - because Michael Madsen actually has quite an engaging smile and it was a lost opportunity.

Yesterday was about the spirit of Naples and one scene had a pair of waiters wander out with sparkling wine for the photographer and her model. "See, that's the spirit of Naples" says the photographer. And then thanks the waiters before not using them in her follow-up shots. Another muppet. Still, the critique of those shots was interesting. "You took that with a zoom didn't you" says the expert (an ex war and now more fashion photographer) "With a prime lens, you change the angle as you have to move". An interesting insight.
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I've not seen the new series, Ill get it on catch-up.....there are some interesting views but an awful lot of required hero worship of the critics who are generally far too up themselves to offer anything useful...but I think they are directed to be controversial.
            Last series Martin Par was the expert for an episode and he was true to himself and absolutely fine with the contestants...a truly British professional artist. Ill watch the new episode and try not to get too wound up by the critics.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I agree with Brian about the judges, the only one back from last series has only come back because he is so rude to the contestants. Not a great deal of constructive comments from him just straight dislike.

Comment

It's interesting to read the views on here - we haven't seen any of the new series yet, but from the last series, I certainly began to think I was doing it all wrong!

I hate programs where so called experts deride the hobbyist and amateurs - people have to learn somewhere.
                Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

These aren’t all amateurs - some of them are pros of long-standing - and the prize for the winner is €100,000 so I think it’s right they should have to work for it, though I agree some of the comments are a bit beyond critique and into insult.
                  EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Watched with great interest in our house, as were the previous 2 series.

This time I think the contestants were chosen for their political or social views and the judges for their continued ability to give controversial opinions. Interspersed are, however, lots of thought-provoking comments and some neat asides - which I may or may not agree with but it's all useful input.

Episode 1 was 2.5 hours in Naples with a ballerina to evoke the "spirit of Naples" This prompted some discussion with Hubby as to what I'd shoot to show the Spirit of Mahon. If it were to be today- ie not at fiesta time or religious ceremony etc- there'd be a suitable backdrop of harbour/cloisters/market. I'll take the ballerina- she'd be lovely somewhere in the shot- but please can I have a wrinkled old character to pose as well?

There were quite a few variations on my theme as above So does that make me just boringly conventional? Is someone putting a pair of legs out of taxi window better than me or just going for the "WTF?" reaction ?

I'll not spoil it for you all on catch-up TV but suffice it to say their 2 HC's were not ours..........
                    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Can I volunteer to be your wrinkly Bo?

Comment

Sure you can Dave!
                        Don’t worry I won’t ask you to do wear a tutu........
                        Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

The guy that did the legs in the taxi shot should have gone for any number of reasons, being rubbish being the prime one.

Comment

Working...
                          X