River Lemon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

River Lemon

This innocuous looking stream was once the cause of regular flooding of nearby Newton Abbot through which and beneath it flows. Now in the past since a holding dam was built upstream at Holbeam it can still have a hissy fit in times of heavy rain.

Another from my Bradley Manor visit, through whose grounds it flows, it's also a two portrait image stitch.

IMG_5388-Edit by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
    John

Re: River Lemon

A lovely tranquil image John with good lead-lines - one small niggle (sorry) - does it need a slight clockwise tweak?
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
      A lovely tranquil image John with good lead-lines - one small niggle (sorry) - does it need a slight clockwise tweak?
      Does look that way inclined...
      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
        Does look that way inclined...
        I'm afraid I couldn't resist. Below is taken from "The Oblique Song" as performed by Doggerel Bank on the LP Mr Skillicorn Dances - well worth seeking out and having a listen to...

Oh a hillside is inclined to be a gradient
        You can see the distant Chinese laundry list
        If you tilt when passing windmills be attentive
        For the moral of this song must not be missed......

...Although the horizon's horizontal
        Piano players have a tendency to Liszt
        Jack Spratt was prone to lean so remember
        The moral of this song must not be missed.

(Sorry for hi-jacking your thread John)
        John Liddle

Comment

Thanks Nigel and John

I'm always open to criticism as that's how we learn but have to confess I can't for the life of me see why you think this isn't level

OK some of those trees are a bit wonky (as we all would be if our roots regularly had flood waters flowing around them) but if you look at the extreme right, about a third down and hidden in the greenery are a few fence posts that are vertical. Of course, it could just be my eyesight

Still, a good excuse to roll out a nice little ditty by Doggerel Bank. TBH I didn't know it so searched for and played it on YouTube. Slightly alarmed when it was immediately followed by < this > which woke me up and had me searching for some glow sticks

Cheers,
          John

Comment

Nice composition John

Tom

Comment

Glad you found the Oblique Song - my reason for the comment about the possible need for a rotational tweak was driven by the top edge of the visible water of the stream - it looks askew, but this could just be the shape of the bank of the stream. I hope you will forgive me John, but I have taken the brazen liberty of a small edit, shown below, to illustrate what I mean.

modified.jpg
              John Liddle

Comment

Be as brazen as you like as now I understand although the stream is at that angle as it narrows before a bend. I feel that levelling it it gains the appearance of a pond rather than the flowing stream it really is.

Cheers,
                John

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
                  Be as brazen as you like as now I understand although the stream is at that angle as it narrows before a bend. I feel that levelling it it gains the appearance of a pond rather than the flowing stream it really is.

Cheers,
                  John
                  A fair point John - you pays your money and you makes your choice!
                  John Liddle

Comment

Nice shot, John. I also saw what (the other) John meant on the original but with the extra comments I can now see past that.
                    Chris
                    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post

Cheers,
                      John
                      I suspected that was the case but the problem for me is that water is always level and as a result I find that water with a slope on it is really off-putting...
                      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
                      X