Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Update on lens purchase: - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update on lens purchase:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update on lens purchase:

Update;Following the link to mpb that Chris kindly supplied,I've just ordered the EF-S 55-250mm IS STM.
    Thanks Chris and everyone else who replied.

Re: Update on lens purchase:

You're welcome, although I think I posted the same link as someone else had done previously! Anyway, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the lens.
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks again Chris,it was the only one available.I like the STM lenses because the front elements don't rotate when focussing,a bonus for me with a liking for cpl filters.
      It will get a good try-out next week at our local tropical birdland place.
      Roy
      Last edited by Guest; 01-06-2018, 13:57.

Comment

Tropical birdland is good, make sure you look in the tree in the walk through as you get a load of birds camping in it, you can get some cracking parrot and macaw shots too also emu head shots close up.
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up Tony,sounds like my new longer lens will come in handy.I'll be shooting solely in RAW now I'm used to it.

Comment

Just be patient, if you sit quietly and the crowd have moved on the birds will come over towards the tree, the far side of the pond may be a bit of a stretch for your lens as it was for mine, but they do come over to you, some of the aviaries I gave up on as I couldn't loose the mesh in the shots, the closer you are to it helps as the camera will not focus on it. The free sitting macaws near the emu are photogenic as heck and close, especially if you have the odd titbit you can get there for them, as are the ones near the exit, try to look for natural perches for your shots..... And enjoy it.

These are ones I took there to give you an idea of what's on show

Last edited by TonyT; 06-06-2018, 01:27.
            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks for that great info Tony,I'll be able to see what the 55-250 lens is capable of.
              If I get even one shot that comes anywhere close to any of yours,I'll be very happy,but I envisage spending some time in LR tomorrow night!
              Edited to add;Would you suggest I use AV mode so I can attempt blurred backgrounds on the single bird shots?
              Roy
              Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2018, 13:35.

Comment

You could do, I tend to use manual, that way I can set auto ISO and set the aperture then adjust the shutter speed / aperture as I want, and keep an eye on the ISO so it does not go to high, I then tweak either the aperture or speed to bring it back into range. AV will do the same, use a lowish ISO. the Macaws are very photogenic and do not move about much, you will be ok Its all a learning curve, been there myself and people on here helped and still are.

Have you been there before?

Comment

I'll give those a try,and see how it goes at the time.I'll keep the auto ISO to 400 maximum.
                  Yes I've been there,but over twenty years ago,so that was with my old 35mm SLR kit,looking at their website,things have improved considerably since then.
                  We used to have a falconry centre in the county too,but that's long gone now,shame because it was brilliant.
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2018, 14:58.

Comment

Originally posted by The Nighthawk View Post
                    I'll give those a try,and see how it goes at the time.I'll keep the auto ISO to 400 maximum.
                    Yes I've been there,but over twenty years ago,so that was with my old 35mm SLR kit,looking at their website,things have improved considerably since then.
                    We used to have a falconry centre in the county too,but that's long gone now,shame because it was brilliant.
                    You can go watch and have a go fly owls and the odd hawk at Bosworth battleground, I went and just took pictures, it was about £2:50

There are the deer at Bradgate too and the steam trains betweem Leicester and Loughborough

Comment

I've just found out there's a falconry centre in Rutland also,£7 admission and an extra £2 to hold/fly a bird.http://www.rutland-falconry.com/ Next time I'm at Bradgate I'll see what's about.
                      The Great Central Railway is one for the future,been there countless times.
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2018, 16:22.

Comment

They also have big cats, look under sanctuary, I didn't know, I will have to visit. :)

Comment

Well that's got to be another reason to visit hasn't it?
                          I'm aiming to go on a coach trip visit to Chester Zoo next month though..

Comment

Originally posted by The Nighthawk View Post
                            Well that's got to be another reason to visit hasn't it?
                            I'm aiming to go on a coach trip visit to Chester Zoo next month though..
                            Wow a man with money to spare ,Chester zoo is rather expensive

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                              Wow a man with money to spare ,Chester zoo is rather expensive
                              Oh if only I had money to spare lol,the coach trip is an organised one,£44 all-in.I believe coach firms get a group discount for such places.Having been on many such trips in the last few years,I know that it's usually at least 5 hours at venues,which is value for money and more than enough time.
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2018, 20:53.

Comment

Working...
                              X