Web Site ...and the future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Site ...and the future

I'm not a moderator or have any direct association with the magazine or web site...just a subscriber and forum member.
    There have been some comments about the forum not being as attractive these days and member/contributors having left or no longer taking part.....so I just want to ask is there a need for change?

Some other brand forums seem to be maybe a bit more arty....more upto date with trends....a focus on street photography etc........even Canon's own promotions are about telling your story rather than the classic approach to cameras and their ability.

Is there a debate to be had here or are we happy with where we are.

Personally I think the forum has a lot of strengths in having a solid knowledgeable foundation coupled to the magazine....and members have been very helpful to new users.....particularly me since 2009 when I first went digital. I wouldn't want to lose any of that.....please discuss.....
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: Web Site ...and the future

Brian, I have been on this forum for two years in August, personally it has been the most helpful forum I have ever been on for any subject. When I look back at my early attempts and the constructive remarks and excellent advise I received from you more experienced photographers, then I can see what a great education you “lot” gave me. Maybe for you older ( in forum terms) members you have seen & heard it all before, thus it gets boring. For me I tune in everyday and am still enjoying and learning new ideas.

Comment

There's a few grumbles around about "Things Ain't What they Used to Be" on this forum

Indeed they aren't and everything changes, for all sorts of reasons

Some of our old stalwarts have gone, for one reason or another. But new ones have taken their place and their contributions drive the forum on

For me it has been a place where I can
      • Ask questions and advice on aspects of photography and get friendly considered answers that do not mock me for being ignorant
      • Check out Canon products and read others’ opinions of same
      • Liaise with the magazine articles
      • Show photos I’m particularly pleased with or have an unusual interest
      • Ask for critique on photos
      • Join in challenges and competitions which hopefully drive us on beyond the usual comfort zone

Apparently we have 8000 members but as we know regular contributers are probably under 150 so does that mean we’re doing something wrong or just that people move on ?

I have a couple of beefs about this forum but overall it fulfils my photographic needs. As I live outside of UK I do not have access to courses/ camera clubs as many of you do

But by all means let’s take this opportunity to see if we need to make any changes
      Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

I am not at all convinced that the forum is broken and if it ain't broke........

I have been extremely pleased that I joined this forum, for the same reasons that Barbara stated. Although it is difficult to be definite, I believe that my photography has improved as a result - I certainly find myself thinking about the end image I am going to get before pressing the button, rather than just taking a snap, which might have been my former approach.

Other groups I am involved with (vintage tractor clubs mainly) show some of the same symptoms of ebb and flow of members, periods of inactivity, grumbles and groans, but taken over time the group continues and the members gain from it.

I have to say I find this forum very well-behaved - we all harbour deep inside ourselves the temptation to jump on to a high horse now and then (usually followed by an ignominious fall from it) but members here seem to keep that tendency well in check.

I do not believe that we need to pursue "improvements" to the forum, certainly not merely for the sake of change.

Just my two penn'orth.
        Last edited by John Liddle; 03-06-2018, 10:01. Reason: Speeling
        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Having run it for so many years it would be good to get some opinions from Mr Scott.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy M View Post
            Having run it for so many years it would be good to get some opinions from Mr Scott.
            My role as moderator is to keep the forum running and spam-free. It is the posts from members which make the forum what it is.

I am happy to consider ideas for changes to improve the forum.
            Robert
            robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

I've had a think about this before posting but like John Liddle I'm not convinced anything is inherently wrong or that needs changing.

I've been a member for almost two years and some posters that were frequent contributor then are less prolific now, conversely there are people who I didn't see around originally return during this period. People will come & go for a variety of reasons - personally, I will look in and post less when I'm not using the camera much and with work & other commitments this happens several times a year.

I may or may not comment on photos, pretty much on an adhoc basis. If something piques my interest, impresses me or if I think have something useful to say then I may post something. Or I may not. The sheer volume of excellent shots that get posted make trying to comment on all of them a time-consuming task.

IMO, the best thing this forum can do is to continue to be welcoming & friendly to newcomers, helpful to all and simply remain "the friendliest forum around" (and I sincerely believe it is).
              Chris
              80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

As a new boy here,I can find nothing wrong with the forum,indeed in the very brief time I've been a member,I've received so much good advice to the questions I've asked.
                Other non-photography forums I'm on(a rugby club and an aviation one)seem to be populated with many members whose sole purpose in life is picking arguments with other members most of the time.
                So this forum is a very pleasant change from those.Long may that continue!

Comment

I've been a member of this forum for some time (can't remember without looking it up!) and have found it to be an invaluable source of information.

I've been a member of other forums in the past (and still am), I've been a moderator on various forums and even set up a forum for a local RoSPA group. In all the forums I've been involved in (apart from this one), they have either ultimately degenerated into slanging matches or petered out into oblivion.

I'm not saying we need to change anything here, it would be nice to see more new members, but not at the expense of antagonising the "older" ones!

Thank you for all your hard work Robert - I know what goes on the in the background from past experience - Long may this forum continue!

Once my post went up, I note I've been a member since 2009 - I think I"m getting old!
                  Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

I have been a member of this site since 2011 and although not so active these days because of various health problems I do like to pop in now and again. I think this is one of the better sites for info and for civilised conduct of the members. Long may this continue.

Comment

Originally posted by Treff View Post
                      I have been a member of this site since 2011 and although not so active these days because of various health problems I do like to pop in now and again. I think this is one of the better sites for info and for civilised conduct of the members. Long may this continue.
                      I'm with Treff.
                      I have been a member for almost 9 years. I have had my own issues but now have a decent kit again. Unfortunately I have only been out once (properly) with the kit since buying it in January.
                      I also look in from time to time but really want to participate more by actually taking photos.
                      This is a forum set up by Robert Scott, there is no advertising except for The excellent EOS magazine and the forum is totally free (thank you Robert).

I did join other photographic forums before coming here and those other forums were horrible, (well some of the members were).
                      This forum however has friendly members some of which I have met and thoroughly enjoyed meeting them.
                      The members are also very generous and kind.

Does the forum need updating or changing?
                      Will changes to the forum make it more attractive for old and new members?

I'm quite happy the way the forum is but if some members want changes then I'll hopefully welcome those changes.
                      Let the discussion continue ...

Stephen
                      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

I joined in 2009 and being new at the time I was a little apprehensive, concerned about posting images in case they weren't good enough and a little worried about being sidelined by existing members, because I was the newbie.

What I got was a very warm welcome from many members, fair and friendly comments and criticism for any images posted and my comments and opinions given the same merit as any other member. In short, it was a happy friendly place, with a lot of experience and knowledge available and I was really happy to be a part of it. Over time, the initial wow factor has gone, but I still have the very comfortable feeling of being part of a larger photographic community. I have met a few of you over the years at various meets and I have always enjoyed your company, enhancing an existing friendship. Some are no longer members and sadly, some are no longer with us, but I have fond memories of our days out together.

I had previously been a member of other Forums, where some quite unpleasant people seemed to rule the roost and unless you were a part of their inner sanctum, your opinions were of no merit, unless they gave them to you. Being reasonably literate and occasionally lucky with the odd photo I was able to hold my own, but it wasn't a pleasant experience .......... more of a challenge really, so after a couple of weeks on this Forum, it really was breath of fresh air. Over the years, we have had one or two unpleasant Trolls join here, but as we don't seem to react to their nonsense, they soon disappear. Whether that is because they can't wind us up, or because Robert has taken off his velvet glove I'm not bothered. The important thing is we are left with a lot of friends to help each other with our hobby/passion and it seems to work rather well. As my Grandmother used to say: Play nicely or don't play at all. That still works rather well for me even as an adult; although Mrs C might take issue with me regarding myself as an adult!

We have many thousands of members, but only a hundred or so seem to take an active part. Whilst I can appreciate the comfort factor of staying in the background, I would love to be able to tell them how much more they can benefit from this Forum if they would just take the time to make their first hello post and get the welcome messages I first had. Even better if they would post an image. I don't post as many images as I could, because I enjoy seeing your images and commenting on those. Even better I enjoy seeing the great improvements that many of you make with your photography over a period of time. No doubt down to your latent abilities, but I like to think that the odd friendly comment here and there on this Forum has helped a little
                        Colin

Comment

I'm not sure there is anything fundamentally wrong with the forum. Possibly there are some, as suggested in the Missing Tigger thread, whose forum etiquette is perhaps a bit less than optimal but there are far fewer silly/childish/malicious (delete as appropriate) spats than you get in Another Place...

And speaking of Another Place daily usage there has also dropped off significantly compared to what it was even a couple of years ago. Personally I tend to put it down partly to the distractions of the more general social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc.) and perhaps a growing disillusion with social media in general - hardly surprising when Facebook and Twitter often appear to a be a cesspit of trolls, malicious gossips and those would formerly have been the poison penned writers of anonymous letters...
                          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

I've only been a member a few years, but a photographer for 40 plus years. So far, this is the only place I've posted photos where in most cases the comments are constructive rather than negative. This has helped me get the enjoyment in photography back and has helped point me in the right direction. I've yet to find a photographic society or forum that has made me feel so welcome. Robert S has been very helpful when my understanding of digital camera let me down.

I'm happy with the forum and the people in it, so will continue to post when I have time and something to say or show.

Chris

Comment

perhaps a growing disillusion with social media in general - hardly surprising when Facebook and Twitter often appear to a be a cesspit of trolls, malicious gossips and those would formerly have been the poison penned writers of anonymous letters...
                              What wonderful insight and one that I fully endorse.

I was persuaded to join Facebook by a friend, who only publishes his photo's on that heathen place. As I wanted to see his work I joined, only to be bombarded by people I don't know that want to be my friend .......... bloody thousands of them! I did click on a few family and friends and even that resulted in opinions without merit, serial complaining, general unpleasantness and tediously boring information and photo's of what they are just about to eat ............ in McDonalds! Do they seriously think anyone cares?

I am rather amused when they constantly tell each other how busy they are, but still manage to spend hours a day on social media. If they want busy, they should have tried my grandmother's schedule: no fridge, no TV, no vacuum cleaner, no washing machines, no car and six kids to look out for. She was one busy lady!
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X