Ideas on how my wife can push camera gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas on how my wife can push camera gear

My wife us unable to now carry her camera and telephoto lenses due to back and hip problems. We have done bird photography, much on nature reserves with paths and increasingly having to use hides as she is unable to carry the gear over rough ground. We are looking for something to enable her to push (not pull as that causes problems) with here bag attached or in. We have looked at golf trolleys 4 wheeled looked the most stable but how to attach a camera bag? We are now looking a children’s buggy’s, but that’s desperation! It needs to be fold-able, one trolley we looked at was useless as it hardly folded more required dismantling and reassembling each time and even then was very bulky. 2 wheeled ones create back/hip problems balancing them (just look at the golf and child transporters, they don't use 2 but 3 or better 4 wheels).

She already has the lightest equipment a Sony a77mk2 and the lightest zoom telephoto we could find.

Any idea s would be most welcome, as so far it appears that as you age and are unable to carry equipment you have to stop being a photographer as there isn’t anything to carry equipment.

Re: Ideas on how my wife can push camera gear

Would it be worth discussing possible solutions with your healthcare professional - presumably your wife has seen a doctor/physio about the issues. Before committing to some form of push trolley, assuming a suitable example can be found, I would think it advisable to discern whether it is going to be a successful solution and not a potential problem - I'm not entirely sure that pushing a trolley over possibly rough terrain is likely to be easier or more beneficial in the long term.

With regard to weight reduction have you considered going mirrorless? I personally have a Panasonic m4/3rds body and a couple of lenses and they are significantly smaller and light in weight than a DSLR as are their Olympus counterparts - my G3, 14-42 and 50-150 lenses together weight less than my 40D and 17-85... Similarly the EOS M-series cameras are very much more compact than the D -series bodies although the lack of a comprehensive range of lenses is a currently a bit of a drawback.
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

There used to be someone near to me who had the same problem. He got over it by getting a shopping trolley,removing the bag and strapping his camera bag to the metal frame. The only problem with this is bumping around of gear, especially lens in the bag if you are going over rough ground. He even fitted a clamp to the handle of the trolley that he could fix a monopod to -- it was his tripod!. Hope this is of some help.
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I have friends with similar problems. They tried everything photographic available and they all suffered from the same problem: wheels too small to handle the terrain.

Their solution ............ an all terrain babies pram/buggy. Three wheeled pneumatic 10 inch tyres, lightweight, easy to manoeuvre over rough terrain, also manages with a full supply of food and drink for the day and even their little dachshund. They bought theirs used and although they can cost hundreds of pounds new, they ended up paying somewhere between £50 and £100.

Try a search on: All terrain Buggy and all terrain jogger.

Hope that works for you.
        Colin

Comment

A quick search reveals this (check out the pictures to see bags on it) at a rather high price for what you are looking for - but assume something similar might be the idea - it looks like it can be pushed along (and attached to a bike).

I assume a cabin sized trolley case is out of the question due to the small wheels not being terrain suitable.

I'll keep searching in case a cheaper option to the above is available.

A cheaper alternative bike trolley - admittedly these are for bikes to tow - but my thought is that this therefore gives it the long handles / to use to push. Be worth popping into a bike shop if you can and checking them out.

Another thought is to search for shopping trolleys (with bag) - some even double up as a seat as well.
          Last edited by Bhuna; 04-06-2018, 19:27.
          Andy
          Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
          EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
          [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Eckla make a very good trolley system which can be pushed or pulled but is only two wheeled. Worth having a look at their website as they have a few different versions which may spark some alternate ideas as they are not too cheap but are apparently excellent quality items. Some have built in seats and sunshades !!!

Comment

Having already made a sensible, cost effective suggestion, I can now go for it .............. Quad bike!

Front and rear racks, two seat and at least 500cc. Might be a bit of an argument who drives, but what the hell, have some fun, turn a problem into an opportunity.
              Colin

Comment

Or an off road Segway...[emoji16]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Why stop at a quad? Think bigger! http://www.argoatv.com.au/argo-frontier-efi-6x6

Sorry, but I have no sensible suggestions.
                  Chris
                  80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Why stop at a quad? Think bigger!
                    Manual transmission with Hi and Lo ratios and water propulsion?

No way would Mrs C drive that baby. Gotta get me one of those. Now the hard decisions: 6WD or 8WD?
                    Colin

Comment

If it was my wife...I'd carry it all for her of course....either that or strap it all to my dog ……………..best not to get a dog that likes a swim if that's given you an idea!
                      Sorry couldn't offer anything sensible...please don't take offence.
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Google beach carts

You can also get versions that double as seats etc

Feisol also do a cart that doubles as a tripod too, but not cheap

Also Google fishing carts

Last edited by TonyT; 04-06-2018, 22:34.
                        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

As most will know advancing years recently made me change from canon ,I have now got a Panasonic g80 mirrorless coupled with a pano-Leica 100-400 this combo gives me a long range 800mm equivelant and super close up in one camera and lens combo ,fully weatherproof to . It actually weighs in at a all up weight of 1.4 kg and does away with the need for bags etc .if your worried about rain stick a carrier bag in your pocket .unfortunately the forum rules don’t allow me to post photos .but I have succeeded with perfectly focussed swallows and house martins in flight and super sharp macros .its not the final solution but at least it’s rejuvenated the hobby for me

Comment

Having started to feel my age I have been checking the 3 wheel trolleys ( the sort that can climb kerbs) .
                            I will probably end up going down that route but I will admit to not checking if they will push as well as pull.
                            I hope you find a solution.
                            All the best.
                            Dave
                            Dave , France 79

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                              unfortunately the forum rules don’t allow me to post photos .
                              I had a quick look in Flickr, Jeff, and you've achieved some impressive shots with the G80 - well done
                              Chris
                              80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Working...
                              X