Apt Topic for the Pub.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apt Topic for the Pub.....

In between my times of interest in Photography , i've had an interest in Single Malt Whisky , One of my Favourite places for Whisky has always been Islay and even though since my heart attack a few years ago the whisky interest has wained a bit , at the height of it i had the chance to purchase a cask or two along the way as a natural progression of the appreciation of the stuff . Earlier this week i went over to Creetown to pick up bottles from a cask that was recently done . This one was purchased along with other people from a Website forum i used to run and has been the most complicated owing to Americans being involved (Sorry Tom !) , Word of advice don't bottle a cask for America , You've got to get the TTB involved and it's a pain !

SOI_Bottles

For those that are interested it's a 15yo Port Charlotte that was distilled at Bruichladdich in 2002 and matured in a Refill Sherry Hogshead , hence the dark colour .

This is the third and final Port Charlotte i've been involved in , the one on the left was the first one i purchased in 2001 , a Bloodtub and the one on the right was a fresh bourbon barrel purchased with a group of friends from Newcastle hence the name....

SOI_Trio

The current one was actually the 5th i've been involved with (don't even think of the duty and VAT that's been handed over.....)

Full_Bottlings

The one on the far left was an experiment i done with the then owner of Bladnoch (probably the worst of the 5) and the one on the Far Right was purchased with 9 others from The Bladnoch Forum and is a Peated Bunnahabhain .

I've 2 more left to bottle , A 2008 Bruichladdich which will be done at the end of July and a 2012 Longmorn which has a little while left to go .
    It's an interesting thing to have done , it's great to see how the spirit has developed over the years but i don't think i would be able to afford it now as the price of buying the casks has shot up along side it's popularity .
    Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60783975@N03/

Re: Apt Topic for the Pub.....

Thanks for sharing that, it's all very interesting. I also love a single malt, especially from Islay, and I really must organise a trip up there one day.

My favourite tipple is Lagavulin 16yo but am willing to try any & all scotches from whatever area. I've done a few whisky tasting evenings run by Milroy's of Soho which are always good for finding new & interesting whiskies (and not always Scotches). A group of like-minded whisky fans recently held our own tasting evening and pooled all of our bottles. We ended up having 21 different ones! I have the list somewhere.

And the Bruichladdich Octomore that I tried recently when at the Pot Still in Glasgow (http://thepotstill.co.uk/) was a real peaty head-rush!
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

You've piqued my interest now! https://ardnahoedistillery.com/cask-sales/
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Hi Chris ,
        Islay is a great place to visit , just go outside the Whisky Festival Though ! (It's absolutely chocker and you need to book accomodation well in advance ) . Peter / ST EOS has just been there , £7000 for a cask is a bit much seeing it only includes insurance and Storage for 10 years , you're looking at possibly another £4000+ for bottling costs / Duty / VAT . The place i got this bottling done sells casks from time to time and they sell very reasonably priced Bottles as well ( http://whiskybroker.co.uk ) .
        On my blog i have a page to do with bottling casks , HERE , There's also quite a lot of info about our visits to Islay and other Whisky Places !

I've done a few tastings in my time (including taking them....) and Milroys has a good reputation . Never been to Glasgow for a drink but there are some cracking pubs according to reports .
        Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon_H View Post
          you're looking at possibly another £4000+ for bottling costs / Duty / VAT
          Ouch!
          Chris

Comment

Very interesting, not a whisky man myself. Having been in a certain branch of the armed forces its Rum and Port!
            There was a pub near to where I live some years ago that had a bar that was exclusively stocked with malt whiskies, nothing else. There were hundreds of bottles all lined up along the shelves. I always remember there was one that was £5 a shot, outrageous price at the time, I was given one when I did some photography for a brochure they were producing.
            Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by ctrollen View Post
              Ouch!
              Exactly! This bottling worked out after all the costs at £25 a bottle (the cask originally cost £1050), not a bad price for a single cask cask strength 15yo Islay .
              Trev - A fiver isn’t too bad a price for a dram especially these days when what used to be a £30 bottle can now be pushing £50- 100 !
              The most I’ve paid for a dram is £20 but my excuse is it was a very old Ardbeg from a classic bottling!
              Last edited by Gordon_H; 07-06-2018, 15:01.

Comment

The smallest distillery in Scotland is Edradour, the owner ( before they were taken over) had a cask put down when his son was born & intends to use it all for a big party on his son’s 18th birthday. Some party.

Comment

Trev, believe it or not the NAAFI did a whiskey blend years ago that was supposed to be fantastic and worth more than they sold it for, they had done a deal on some whisky's that turned out to be better than anyone realised until it was to late.

As for Rum, I still have an unopened bottled for the NAAFI 1.5 litre bottle of Bacardi Gold and the same of Remy Martin VSOP Champagne Congnac in the smoked bottle that were bought in the 70's again never opened.
                  Last edited by TonyT; 07-06-2018, 17:33.
                  Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

How very interesting.

I have a bottle of Dalwhinnie - distilled in 1989 - bottled in 2004 - now 29 years old.

12 year old Glenlivet - purchased in 2000 - now 30 years old.

18 year old Glenfiddich - purchased in 2000 - now 36 years old.

So, apart from the fact that I should have drunk them already, have they improved in the bottle, deteriorated, or no change?
                    Colin

Comment

For my half century 2 years ago MrsR bought me a single cask from Banff Distillery, distilled in 1966. It had been bottled in 1998, so 31 years in cask. I only get it out on special occasions with special people.
                      My understanding there is no change once in bottle, but Gordon will no doubt confirm as the expert...
                      Canon EOS 7D
                      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
                        Trev, believe it or not the NAAFI did a whiskey blend years ago that was supposed to be fantastic and worth more than they sold it for, they had done a deal on some whisky's that turned out to be better than anyone realised until it was to late.

As for Rum, I still have an unopened bottled for the NAAFI 1.5 litre bottle of Bacardi Gold and the same of Remy Martin VSOP Champagne Congnac in the smoked bottle that were bought in the 70's again never opened.
                        I got a bottle of Pusser's Red Lable, but nothing can compare the the 'Neaters' we had when on board a HM ship, or some of the vintage Ports that were served in the Mess on RM shore establishments.

Reading all these post of what people have stacked away - what a party we could have
                        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Cognac sadly doesn't out of the barrel, the advantage can be in the blend and age / scarcity. Looking up prices my two go for about £199 each.
                          Last edited by TonyT; 07-06-2018, 21:17.
                          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                            How very interesting.

I have a bottle of Dalwhinnie - distilled in 1989 - bottled in 2004 - now 29 years old.

12 year old Glenlivet - purchased in 2000 - now 30 years old.

18 year old Glenfiddich - purchased in 2000 - now 36 years old.

So, apart from the fact that I should have drunk them already, have they improved in the bottle, deteriorated, or no change?
                            Colin , Whisky doesn't age in bottles , it can deteriorate if stored in unfavourable conditions (exposed to bright light - the sun) and it can oxidise if it is opened and exposed to air then not drunk for a while . The cork can also deteriorate (had a few of them....) . So a 12yo is still a 12yo and an 18yo is still an 18yo..... it only ages in a cask .
                            Last edited by Gordon_H; 07-06-2018, 22:29.

Comment

Thanks for the info Gordon.

Thankfully, they are hidden away in a cupboard, so my only potential problem is the corks.
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X