...a little bit of street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...a little bit of street

...for your entertainment...please feel free to comment.....I think I was spotted when taking a few of these
    All taken on a working trip to Sheffield by train (wish I hadn't used the trains...terrible service up north at present!)

_F3A1232.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

_F3A1225.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

_F3A1215.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

_F3A1241.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

_F3A1253.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

_F3A1261.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
    .....a space for ...sleep!
    _F3A1267.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

_F3A1268.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

_F3A1279.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

do you think your name influences you in choosing a profession?
    _F3A1286.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

another red sign
    _F3A1280.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
    ...heading back.....waited for second train.....first one full....two carriages is never enough from Sheffield to Manchester!
    _F3A1293.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: ...a little bit of street

I can't seem to "See" street photography, but I applaud those that do.

Love number 5 of the sleeping commuter. Hope he woke up in time for his stop!
    Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin for taking the time despite your declared uninterest.
      I see it as social commentary and observation via photographs
      ....some times just recording how things are, but other times depicting interactions and issues…..
      coupled with rare good composition then what's not to like.....a dynamic angle, use of colour, moody processing can all be used to exaggerate an image.
      Just people watching with a camera and producing an image that tells a story to a lesser or greater degree.

Like this one capturing the moment when the guy is distracted by the woman...and everyone busily making their way

_MG_0183.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

commentary on the presence of delveroo and the gig economy
      Untitled by brianvickers, on Flickr

the frustration of hospital parking...
      _MG_9168-2.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

urban life...a young innocent child in a harsh harsh precinct environment
      _MG_4838.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

I'm not convincing you am I ?
      Last edited by @imagesBV; 09-06-2018, 15:07.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Hmmm. I wasn’t personally convinced by your photos.... they fell into my husband’s “so what?”category apart from the sleeping guy which is fun and tells a story.

The rest may be a social commentary but they are probably not distinctive enough to be memorable .IMHO of course!

We are in Almunecar, Andalusia this week so I went out today thinking of your pics to do my own Street Shots. Ended up taking quirky people with full zoom 200mm , a couple of abstractly things where shapes and colours dictated the shot and got shouted at by street seller lady who said NO when I asked if Icould take her pic.

Couldn’t just seem to take Life as it is ... I guess I kept looking for “The Angle” !

Of course we are all different and for me your skill comes when you can make something interesting out of something boring like your motorway service stations for example.

Keep ‘em. coming though Brian! I’ll try and post some street stuff on my return to base
        Last edited by lunarbo; 09-06-2018, 17:03.
        Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

PS. I like your last shot4838 as the lines of the buildings are powerful......I’d crop to emphasize these..... see how differently we look at things!

Comment

Thanks Colin for taking the time despite your declared uninterest.
            Not uninterested Brian, it's just that I can't do it. I have tried, as I have with most genres of photography. Some I am good at, and others I am not. Street photography is in my "not" category as I just don't "see" the shot. The unfolding story passes me by. The decisive moment eludes me and I just end up with a mediocre street scene.

Couple of people in my camera club get it right every time and I bow to their expertise.
            Colin

Comment

Brian, I know nothing whatsoever about street photography, unless there's a nice bird in the street
              But I think those are great, I like them all, something a bit different.
              The only thing that did surprise me with them was the fact the train did arrive --- was it on time
              Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Thanks Bo...I'm no expert.....I don't think we should go out to take a predetermined shot or have preconceptions or analyse a situation too much...but just get into the moment and allow our natural attention dictate what and when we take an image before our consciousness gets a grip and slams our creative juices down.
                Subconsciously we glance at people and situations and think nothing of it....but that's saying we were attracted enough to glance and then made a conscious judgement to disregard what we noticed....I know it all sound very Zen but that's my approach and I think its the way street works.
                I'm no expert and don't profess to be competent but I am confident I've managed to take at least some interesting street shots.

..I'm pleased that at least in part I inspired you to try some street.....I don't tend to ask anyone.....all my shots above were with 24mm so I was pretty close....long lenses can appear threatening. Nothing wrong in asking...maybe I should go down that route as I did with my dog walkers project...Martin Parr does it with a flash mounted too.

Trev....Along with a platform full of commuters at 14:50 the first train at the platform was already full and took just a handful more....I got on the next at 15.11...………..a cyclist I spoke to had waited for his forth train before he could get on......its mayhem at the moment!

Thanks again Colin
                Last edited by @imagesBV; 09-06-2018, 21:18.
                Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Would anyone be interested in a forum challenge on street photography?

Hoping to see your street shots Bo...
                  Last edited by @imagesBV; 09-06-2018, 21:19.
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

That first picture, it looks like the toilets were locked too.
                    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I have just googled Street Photography for a definition and it seems very much along your lines of observation of “what’s happening now” . Or painting the scene.... very much as you’ve written in your zen comments

I always end up wanting to get close up.... see the wrinkles......or get shapes/lines/patterns. So that probably means I miss the overall scene.

Still each to his or her own. I shall snap some more today and see if I can do the scene without my fingers always twitching over the zoom. My lens is the 18-200 so I do have options!

I like the thought of a challenge on street photography. But judging would be difficult.....who is to say??

Comment

I agree...competition judging would be difficult and I generally think Art and Competition don't mix well...

we already have a top level forum that mentions `street' but the sub forums inside don't.....so Im not sure where to post these...maybe that could be cleared up with admin so we have a proper focus on the subject.

At present its bit like having a general forum on 'things that fly' and no separate bird forum.......and that wouldn't go down well here.
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Street photography needs to tell a story but can very easily just look like "snaps" so for me those that work well for the story are the guy asleep on the train and the first 3 of the second posting
                          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                          flickr

Comment

Working...
                          X