MPB advertEOS magazine advert

Thread: Flicker makes my b/w pics look muddy

Default Flicker makes my b/w pics look muddy

I've reluctantly stopped trying to post a black and white pic because when uploaded to Flicker the result is very disappointing.

The 'Flickered' image is muddy and detail in shadows is completely lost, making it a poor resemblance of the original.

I made several variations by adjusting the gamma in PS but all without satisfactory results when uploaded.

The original was a an 8-bit RGB jpeg with the mode changed to Grayscale in PS. I did try the 'Black and White' sliders option in PS but preferred the Grayscale result.

Any suggestions/advice much appreciated.

Steve.

Default Re: Flicker makes my b/w pics look muddy

Hi Steve,

Here are the best tools that I found that gives you he best BW Conversion to BW.

ON1
    Tonality
    Silver Efex Pro

Tom

Default Re: Flicker makes my b/w pics look muddy

Hi Tom, many thanks for the info.

Actually I think that I may have cracked the problem.

While pondering about compression and all that goes with it, I wondered if the grayscale image's lack of colour-space may be contributing to the problem.

So I opened the original colour jpeg in PS, then applied the grayscale image to a new layer, and saved the file as a jpeg, which, of course is now an 8-bit RGB file - with lots more colour info - even though this is a b/w image.

Loaded it into Flicker and bingo! No longer a muddy mess, but detail in the shadows (especially the wedge shaped building bottom right).

Have a look:

https://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/s...097#post430097

Cheers.

Steve.