X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liverpool's Three Graces (rooftops)

LiverBldg_9589_comp
    by Stephen Thompson, on Flickr

A rooftop shot of Liverpool's Three Graces, taken last week-end on my walkabout visit to Liverpool's Pier Head.

The Royal Liver Building (to give it it's full title) is Liverpool's most famous building and is easily identified by its two clock towers upon which Liverpool's famous liver birds can be seen perched.

At 25 feet (7.62 metres) in diameter the clock faces on the Royal Liver Building are slightly larger than the clock face of London's Big Ben, and stand 250 feet (76 metres) above ground level.

The liver birds each have a wingspan of 24 feet (7.3 metres) and stand 18 feet (5.5 metres) tall. Local (scouse) legend has it that the liver bird seen on the left of this photo is a female and she is looking seaward hoping to catch the eye of handsome sailor, while the liver bird on the right of the photo is a male who is keeping an eye out to see when the pubs are open!

The tight cropping left and right is due to this photo being taken with my trusty old Helios 135mm M42 lens (the only lens I had with me), and I couldn't get move any further back without falling into the Albert dock immediately behind me!

The dome in the centre of the shot is on the Port Of Liverpool Building, and the smaller dome, left of centre, is on the Cunard Building.

I tried using the sliders in PS to create a black and white image, but to be honest I felt that simply turning the pic to monochrome produced the more pleasing result.

1/2500th f8 ISO400 (glorious sunshine)

Steve.

Re: Liverpool's Three Graces (rooftops)

for this to work at its best you needed to go a little wider to include the whole of the tower on the right, which being clipped is a bit of a distraction

I would crop off the right and rename as the Two Graces
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Re: Liverpool's Three Graces (rooftops)

Hi Stan,

The Helios 135mm is a prime lens, so no option to frame wider, and not able to move further back due to a watery reception awaiting me in the form of the Albert dock.

The Three Graces are The Royal Liver Building, The Cunard Building, and the Port Of Liverpool Building.

Cropping one tower of the Royal Liver Building from the shot would still include all three buildings, so not sure about re-naming to the Two Graces.

Thanks for your observations.

Steve.

Comment

Working...
      X