Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Why no Exif - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why no Exif

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why no Exif

Just a simple question,when forum members post their images from Flickr on here,and I open them to see the tech details, ie lens and aperture etc,why do some have those and the Exif,and some not?

I realise that it can be either selected or not on Flickr.I have it enabled on mine,so are there any particular reasons why some members choose not to show them?

I feel they are very helpful to inexperienced members when looking to see what camera settings were used.
    Last edited by Guest; 18-06-2018, 00:07.

Re: Why no Exif

I don't know, I have mine on for that very purpose, indeed I also have GPS on so you can see where they were taken, it helps me remember where I took some shots.

The only ones I do not have it on for were stuff like my Kingfisher ones, as I was requested to keep the location quiet by the people maintaining the place.
    Last edited by TonyT; 18-06-2018, 10:16.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

It may well be that the software used to post-process is removing the EXIF data, either because it defaults to that or the photographer has set it do do so. Or it’s rubbish.
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Thanks Tony and Andy.

Comment

If one uses the Save for Web option in Photoshop that strips out all the EXIF data. I used to do this but now I don't bother. I have occasionally had Flickr fail to pick it up as well.
          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks Nigel,that might explain it,along with what Tony and Andy have said.

Comment

Yes, Lightroom needs it selecting on as well, I had issues when I started using it.
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

It's something I never ever look at, can't see it's any help. If I look at a photograph, that's what I look at, the photo, not the tech information
                Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
                  It's something I never ever look at, can't see it's any help. If I look at a photograph, that's what I look at, the photo, not the tech information
                  Which is fine if you're experienced,but someone new to it all might find the technical information very helpful,in that if they want to learn what settings were used in a given situation,then shutter speeds and apertures etc would help.

Comment

Roy, I would not say I'm experienced. I am self taught and still learning, digital photography is new to me. I think it was about twelve years ago, might be longer that I bought a Canon 20D and thought it was a load of rubbish compared to my film cameras.
                    Since a very early age I've been photographing wildlife, I used to get rolls of Black & White film for birthday and Christmas presents. My first venture into SLR photography was with a Zenth Camera, I then progressed onto a AE1, AE1 Programme, F1 (I still got them all and the boxes they came in) and even large format 6x6 and 6x7. I was considered something of a mis-fit and crank in those days because I went out photographing birds and wildlife - now everyone does it! In those days I could not afford to go out and takes hundreds of shots in a day like people seem to do now, hoping that one will be OK. I was using Kodachrome 25 & 64 at something like five quid for 36 exposure roll, it ended up at over eight quid! - every shot had to count. That's how I learnt. Even today I don't use large cards, both my camera got nothing more than a 2GB in them. My advice to you would be put a small capacity card in your camera, go out take some pictures, note your settings, although now you got Exif. Don't go out taking dozens of shots at various sittings in the hope that one will be OK. As I said that's how I learnt. - Best of luck!
                    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Thanks Trev,sound advice.
                      Twenty years ago I had two Minolta 500Si Super bodies and a couple of lenses,and it cost me an absolute fortune in films and processing,with not many keepers either!

Now I use a 32gb card,and I'm still at the stage of shooting a few hundred on a long day out,being quite happy to delete the rubbish ones after.But,thanks to the good advice on here,I'm getting lots more keepers now,so it seems that I'm getting it right,slowly but surely.

Comment

I don’t watermark my images, but set my name as author and copyright it in camera; so it always appears in the EXIF data.
                        Getty use this as proof that the image is one approved by them if their author’s name is in the EXIF data.
                        Janet

Canon 90D, 77D, Plus a load of lenses, especially macro.
                        http://www.leighcameraclub.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                        X