From today at Thornton Reservoir,Leicestershire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From today at Thornton Reservoir,Leicestershire

A few from my trip today..the 70-300mm lens was a Tamron borrowed from my friend who was with me
    IMG_0143 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr
    IMG_0096 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr
    IMG_0093 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr
    IMG_0061 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr
    IMG_0044 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr

Re: From today at Thornton Reservoir,Leicestershire

Overall nice set, but to my very eyes, the 1st 4 seem a bit soft to me.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom,I'll take another look at them tomorrow,I was using a friend's Tamron 70-300mm lens for the first three,reviews I've read about it tonight say that it's soft at the long end..

Comment

Originally posted by The Nighthawk View Post
        Thanks Tom,I'll take another look at them tomorrow,I was using a friend's Tamron 70-300mm lens for the first three,reviews I've read about it tonight say that it's soft at the long end..

Which model was it? The current 70-300 USD VC is reputed to be very good even at the long end. The older versions somewhat less so.

I also ran through the images and the others on your flickr page and the aperture values compared to the focal length used indicate that you had the lens at maximum aperture for all the shots. Generally unless you are paying L lens prices for glass, and to some degree even then, most lenses are not at their best wide open. This can be particularly true of longer zooms - I have an old Tamron 200-400mm f5.6 zoom lens which is very soft wide open but sharpens up spectacularly at f8 and is usable even at f7.1, just 2/3rds of a stop closed. If you get the chance to use your friend's lens again try closing it down a stop, I think you'll see a noticeable difference.

PS

Have you applied any sharpening to these images? I just added some to the picture of the horse and comes up a treat.
        Last edited by El Sid; 22-06-2018, 12:03.
        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

I think the lens was an oldish model,I was thinking of borrowing it next month for my trip to Chester Zoo,but,(a)I'm not sure the extra 80mm it'll give me(480 based on the crop factor of x1.6)will be worth it over my current long lens(400mm)and(b)There was purple fringing-chromatic aberration-on some of the swimming ducks shots yesterday,which I sorted out in LR once I realised what it was.

Have you sharpened the ones on here,or on my Flickr page?Whenever I do it in LR,I use the adjustment brush,is that the right method?

If I borrow that lens again,would something around f8 do the trick?

Comment

I downloaded the first picture of the horse and gave it a rough sharpen in Pixlr (that's an online editor as I'm not at home). I'm not familiar with Lightroom as I always use Photoshop so I can't really advise on LR sharpening. Being able to use a localised brush is handy if that's what it offers though my inclination would be to use a basic low level global sharpening and then use the brush to paint in a final stronger sharpening where it's most needed. Sharpening is a matter of taste to some extent and takes practice to refine - some of my early attempts were dire and even now I occasionally overdo it.

This is what I got with Pixlr:

Purple Fringing and chromatic aberration are quite common and by and large easy to remove or reduce to near invisible levels.

The extra 50mm over your 55-250 is really neither here nor there as an advantage, a minor crop of the 250mm image would remove the difference easily. Also if the Tamron is one of the older non-VC models the 55-250 is probably better optically.

With my telezoom lenses I tend to avoid apertures wider than f8 as the don't generally perform the well below it - though my 55-250 doesn't seem too bad at even wide open. The only one I'm confident of trusting at full aperture is my 70-200 f4L and even then I prefer to keep that closed down slightly at 4.5 or f5...
            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thank you for all that Nigel,I've learnt a lot from it.

On balance I'll give the Tamron a miss for the zoo trip,and use it instead generally when the subject merits it.My 55-250 performs very well,and seems to be ok when opened a tad.It'll be a good one to have for the Armed Forces Day parade locally tomorrow,but at around f8/f11.

Comment

Working...
              X