seen to the first time in the area...the one that got away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seen to the first time in the area...the one that got away

I didn't get a shot...and had no opportunity actually as I was driving along the A53 in Loggerheads Staffordshire there was a Red Kite circling overhead....I did a double take, buzzards are common in the area and I've seen loads of kite around Oxford shire and Buckinghamshire but never before in Staffordshire or Shropshire....is this a first?
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: seen to the first time in the area...the one that got away

Can't help with your question regarding Shropshire, however I do believe Red Kites are spreading their wings a bit. There's been numerous sightings of them in ans around East Devon - a few year ago an unheard of bird in these parts.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Just had quick peek at Staffordshire Bird News and Red Kite over Flagstaff Plantation Keele June 18th this year. Lots of records for various locations earlier too.

Red kite records for Shropshire back as early as 2006.
      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Not uncommon in Shropshire these days Brian , they breed successfully in South Shropshire and Wenlock Edge on the outskirts of Much Wenlock, I have photographed them in three different Shropshire locations. When you consider the success and rapidly expanding populations in Wales then their territories will be expanding to accommodate the additional birds and with Shropshire bordering Wales in part its no surprise they are becoming more common in the County
        Steve ( LSINWP )
        1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

Well thats great news...I've always lived in Shropshire -Shrewsbury and north Shrops and North Staffs...first I've seen in the area.
          Thanks for the info....I guess we'll have to lock up our cats!
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

People seeing a lot over the A1 in Peterborough area now

Paul

Comment

Working...
            X