Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Advice for Chester Zoo please - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice for Chester Zoo please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for Chester Zoo please

Hi, in three weeks time I'll be going on an organised coach trip to Chester Zoo,we'll have at least four hours there.So,any hints and advice re technique will be most welcome please.I'll be shooting RAW now that I'm comfortable with post processing in LR.
    Hopefully I can work within the limitations of my lenses.I visited London Zoo a year ago,with my basic bridge camera,and was fairly happy with the results,so my DSLR should be much better..

Thanks in advance..

Re: Advice for Chester Zoo please

Chester Zoo is big, really big so planning what you want to see is pretty much essential - I suggest spending some serious time on their website and make a list of what you want to see in order of importance and most efficient route. Even then there's no way to see everything in one visit...
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Good advice Nigel thanks,I'll decide and then print out a list of priorities.

Comment

one of the main problems with zoos is making the images look natural so take time and wait for the right angle so there are no fences etc in the background. An alternative is to zoom in tight and go for portrait / head shots although you may be a bit short on reach with your lenses for the smaller animals. At our local zoo I usually just use my 70-200 with the 1.4 converter, giving a reach of 280mm and heres an example of what you could achieve

Stan

Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan,would it be worth my while renting one of these for the occasion?
          Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM
          Last edited by Guest; 26-06-2018, 16:11.

Comment

Hi Roy.
            see below the first shot is with the 55-250STM at 250mm the second is with the 100-400L at 400mm on a 200D (APSC sensor....same size as on your 550D
            _MG_0001.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

_MG_0002.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Hi Brian,that's a perfect comparison,so thank you.I'll rent a 100-400L for a few days,it's surprisingly cheap really..£77.00 for four days,including delivery and return.
              There's just something about spaniels that makes me want to stroke them..
              Last edited by Guest; 26-06-2018, 19:26.

Comment

No problem Roy...is that £77 with an option to buy?
                Mine was from mpb.com I paid about £650...its an excellent lens...sharp and produces nice smooth backgrounds.
                Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

It's a rental lens from http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/ I think the cost is very reasonable,free delivery and no deposit,and just £19 to return it via their courier.
                  I got my 55-250 from mpb though.

Comment

If you ever look at buying one Roy, I have a mk1 available, have a good trip
                    Last edited by TonyT; 26-06-2018, 23:37.
                    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks Tony.
                      By the way,I'm going to the Great Central at Loughborough this Saturday to see how the camera gets on with steam locos etc.
                      Last edited by Guest; 27-06-2018, 10:10.

Comment

I will be at Bempton, did you not get my message? I am going up Saturday coming back Sunday, I sent you a PM that if you wanted a lift pm me, you would need to sort out a B and B for sat night.
                        Last edited by TonyT; 27-06-2018, 17:40.
                        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by The Nighthawk View Post
                          There's just something about spaniels that makes me want to stroke them..
                          I'm the same with puppies

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
                            I will be at Bempton, did you not get my message? I am going up Saturday coming back Sunday, I sent you a PM that if you wanted a lift pm me, you would need to sort out a B and B for sat night.
                            I think your message was meant for someone else Tony?

Comment

No, you're only down the road from me so I thought I would offer.

Comment

Working...
                              X