Sunlit Saltire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunlit Saltire

Another odd title but hopefully the post then gets looked at which may or may not happen if I had used Eilean Donan Castle as the title
    The castle is probably the most photographed one in Scotland, but it would be rude to pass it and not stop to make an image or two. It is of course in this image sunlit like the Saltire with a dark and rather drab sky behind it.

As always your thoughts/comments/suggestions are most welcome.

Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Re: Sunlit Saltire

lovely light on the castle that contrasts nicely with the murk on the hills behind. If being picky on composition I'd probably like the foreshore/seaweed in the bottom right cropped and more on the bridge on the left included but it's still a nicer image than any I've ever managed of it.

Cheers,
    John

Comment

That's a better shot of the castle than the standard fare and it's the lighting that makes it as the castle really stands out against the gloom of the background. As an extra bonus you got the timing on the flag spot on.

Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Lovely image Peter. +

Tom

Comment

Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Timing is everything and this you caught just right. Love the contrast with the dark sky behind
            Andrew

Comment

Photographing Eilean Donan Castle can often be problematic what with light, tide and loads of people.

I've pass it every time I travel up to Skye but never had decent light like you've captured here, nice image
              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Lovely light Peter and well composed shot.

Bill.
                7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Comment

Lovely shot Peter, the last time I was there I had somewhat different light - mist and rain!
                    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Thanks for all of the positive comment and suggestions gents
                      I had been through some rain storms that day. The light when we got to the Castle made me stop and make the image, normally I would just pass by!
                      Peter

Feel free to browse my
                      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

It may have been photographed thousands of times before, but no reason to ignore it. The clever bit is to do it your way and make a different shot to the norm and you have certainly done the business.

That pre-storm lighting, which takes on a golden hue, contrasts beautifully with the dour light in the background to produce an original and enchanting shot. Right place, right time and I suspect the right time only lasted a couple of minutes until the castle was rained upon and the foreground light died on you.

My compliments Peter ............. I would rather like to have taken that myself.
                        Colin

Comment

Well captured!
                          Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

Couldn't be better.

Comment

Working...
                            X