Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Camera techniques/settings for heritage railways - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camera techniques/settings for heritage railways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera techniques/settings for heritage railways

Hi chaps,I know it's a bit short notice,but I'm visiting our local heritage railway(Great Central,Loughborough)on Saturday.
    I've been looking back at some of my previous efforts with a bridge camera,and quite frankly I can do better.

Any tips re camera settings will be most welcome please,there will be two steam locos and one diesel in operation.I'd like to capture the essence and atmosphere of steam locomotion,plus some of the signals and other equipment.The weather for the day looks good,and as ever,I'll be shooting in RAW.

I fully expect to get candid shots of staff etc,but I'm ok now with settings for those.
    Many thanks..
    Last edited by Guest; 28-06-2018, 15:14.

Re: Camera techniques/settings for heritage railways

I can't help, the one time I went I ended up photographing my car and the one that rear ended me near the 3M roundabout for the insurance, it was my first day out with the 1dx and my train shots were rubbish. You want a fast shutter speed if coming towards you.

Btw Japfest Is on at dono park on Sunday the 30th, saw the signs today

April 7th 2024 Japfest Silverstone. One of UK’s and Europe’s Biggest Car Show most popular and enduring Japanese car show. Feature Cars, Drifting and Track time
    Last edited by TonyT; 28-06-2018, 17:11.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I can’t help much either
      Here’s a link to some I took at Ffestiniog http://brianvickersphotography.com/p985400844 thought it might give some ideas
      I’d look out for the steam to get some atmosphere shots
      Continuos focus for moving subjects...and maybe experiment with manual exposure
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks both of you,I'll just shoot lots on the day and aim for good composition I think.Luckily I'm very familiar with the layouts of the stations there.

If I can get away with it I'll try wandering past the sheds at Loughborough towards the very top end,having guarded the place on Saturday nights in the past I know there are some shots to be had up that end.Also the huts(bothys)close to the shed can be very photogenic if you get the angles right.
        Last edited by Guest; 28-06-2018, 19:14.

Comment

Roy as an idea of settings, have a look at this thread LINK the Exif for the image in that thread is "ISO100, f8, 1/125sec" I was using a 5D3 with a 70-200 L-IS mk2 at 70mm but note there is no real sign of wheel blur in the image with a note very fast shutter speed. Other images (not posted on here) from the same shoot to be able to see any blur on the wheels the shutter speed was 1/60 sec.
          IHTH
          Peter

Feel free to browse my
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

That's great thanks Peter,it gives me some good ideas.At the railway I'm going to though,any moving shots have to be from the platforms,so I'm kind of"stuck"with statics,with one exception where I can get trains coming towards me into a station from another station.

There's a slight incline on the approach so locos have to work a bit harder on that bit.

Comment

Shots from my heritage railway visit now posted in the"Transport"section

Comment

Working...
              X