What have I done wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What have I done wrong

When to Biddulph Grange, when I got home this was one of the images. I was using my 6D and the 35mm f2 is, aperture priority, f13, 1/80 second. seems like double image? But how? Any advice? The others taken the same day were okay.

help1 by Stackman1, on Flickr

Thanks

Chris

Re: What have I done wrong

Were you using IS whilst on a tripod (or fixing the camers position some other way)?

I understand that this "may" cause problems due to the IS getting a bit confumbled and making corrections when none is necessary - hence the recommendation to swithch it off when using a tripod. (I think some of the more recent cameras can detect tripod use for themselves and disable the IS).
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Thanks John,

This was handheld, the IS was turn on.

This has me puzzled, the images before and after are both fine. As this was a day out with the wife, so I didn't change settings or take the tripod.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Stackman View Post
        Thanks John,

This was handheld, the IS was turn on.

This has me puzzled, the images before and after are both fine. As this was a day out with the wife, so I didn't change settings or take the tripod.

Chris
        So that's that theory debunked then!
        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Hi Chris, looking at the image in a bit of detail on Flickr there does appear to be a bit of a double image that's all in a vertical direction, assuming you were shooting portrait.

Only thing I can think is that it looks a bit like camera movement when you pressed the shutter.
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
            Only thing I can think is that it looks a bit like camera movement when you pressed the shutter.
            That's what it looks like to me too. And if it was one of mine I wouldn't be surprised...
            Canon EOS 7D
            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
            Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
            flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Same for me too, my hands ain't that steady these days and will only get worse I suspect. My father had Parkinsons so likely it will affect me too.
              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

I've found that I need at least 100th sec at least with any lens...I would have expected IS to have handled this better though....is the IS working? can you test it?
                Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Chris

I know its not the same subject but I used your settings on the same combination, 6D + 35mm f2 with IS on & off.
                  No problem with either shot.
                  I would image that the slightest bit of vertical movement would produce your result.

If I were you I'd put it down as a mystery and carry on shooting!
                  Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

It may be that you jabbed the shutter release a bit.

Comment

It certainly looks like camera movement, rather than an issue with the kit you used to me Chris.
                      Peter

Feel free to browse my
                      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

My thoughts are that the IS wasn't fully engaged when you took the shot.

The gyros of the IS mechanism need time to spin up to operating speed, so using the first pressure on the shutter button actuates the gyros to engage. If you pause briefly on the first pressure, the gyros are up to speed for when you engage the second pressure on the shutter button to take the shot.

If you go through straight to second pressure to take the shot, it is unlikely the gyros will have reached sufficient speed to stabilise the shot. We are only talking about split seconds, but probably enough to make the difference.
                        Colin

Comment

I'm with Colin on this, my first thought was that the IS hadn't quite settled.

Other possibility is that the processor or card has thrown a wobbler for some reason and not recorder the picture properly. On odd occasions I've had images fail to record for no readily apparent reason or fail to display properly on the PC despite looking OK on the camera.
                          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks for all the comments.
                            I went out this weekend, same settings everything was fine. I did change the memory card.
                            So I will put it down to one of those things that happen.

Chris

Comment

Good point Colin.

I did try to replicate the shot (see previous post) but I always use Back Button Focus which will avoid the 'second pressure' on the shutter button.
                              Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Working...
                              X