Challenge 144: Me Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 144: Me Time

This challenge is about what else you do apart from photography. Create an image to show what you do to relax when you aren't at work (unless you work to relax) or when you have a camera in your hand. So this could be another hobby or just you vegging out in a favourite place. Be creative, I love to see the unexpected.

I am no expert judge (or photographer), but I will do my best to give constructive comments on all entrants and I'll choose the top 3 based on my personal assessment of how well the image shows what you are trying to convey and of its photographic quality.

For those new or shy on this forum, I particularly encourage you to enter. Hopefully in doing so you will challenge yourself and have a bit of fun at the same time.

The usual rules apply:
    • The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon EOS camera - DSLR or M series.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

Closing date for entries is midnight (UK BST) Saturday 21 July.

Have fun and please have a go, whatever you come up with!
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Re: Challenge 144: Me Time

Long distance walking
    Hiking gear by Ian, on Flickr
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

You say that posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. What is that exactly?

Comment

Hi Marsha,

Welcome to the forum!

Running period of the challenge is from the date it was posted. In this case Alex set the challenge on June 30th so pictures should be taken on or after that date.
        Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

We have never had less than three entries to any Challenge, and I really don't want to be the one that sets a new record, so please note that this one ends on Saturday night. Please get your masterpieces in, even if they are not quite masterpieces. Pretty please. Thank you.
          Canon EOS 7D
          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM

Comment

On its way.

Comment

2F87208E-B467-4503-BF86-3299EF8A4D3F.jpg
              anand

Comment

Twice weekly hell on the treadmill.

EOS Challenge by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

No More Jobs
                  Me Time by nigel winters, on Flickr
                  Nigel
                  EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Comment

"A Lidl Shopping to Do"

When this supermarket opened in town last month, featuring only the 4th set of escalators on the whole of the island of Menorca,traffic jammed the roads in all directions and there were long queues formed both outside and inside the sparkling new building.

It's quietened down a bit now but since you asked "what do I do outside of photography?" then the answer is plain...............

When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping !

[IMG]A Lidl Shopping to Do by Barbara Bett, on Flickr[/IMG]
                    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

"A pub with a view"

Sitting by the window in the upstairs bar of the Blue Peter Inn in Polperro drinking in both the stunning view of the harbour and the excellent Cornish Orchards cider.

Seven shot HDR from which three were selected for processing in Aurora.

5D3_7613_AuroraHDR2018-edit by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
                      John

Comment

Thanks to those that entered, the challenge is now closed and I'll go away to consider my verdict...
                        Canon EOS 7D

Comment

Huge apologies, if I'm honest I found this one really hard as I'm ashamed to say that I have no other hobbies (that I can afford) anymore, work - racing - when not racing Cory and I are out with the cameras.

Sorry again

.DAVID.
                          Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Thanks again for everyone that did enter, and yes David, I was worried that photography doesn't leave a lot of time or money for other pursuits, but I was interested in seeing a little glimpse into your lives.

My thoughts on each of the entries:
                            Hiking Gear by Farider
                            I think photography goes reasonably hand in hand with a love of the outdoors and thence walking, and this still life has pulled together all of the elements. Placing them inside the tent was a great move to remove any chance of background distractions but must have added lighting challenges, but it is all well composed and lit.

Portrait by Anand
                            I presume this is a self portrait with the picture on the wall behind referencing music and you on the vocals and recording. I like the jaunty angle of the picture which goes with the relaxed style of the image, but I would probably have cropped or cloned the edge of the picture on the left as it keeps dragging my attention. Not helped by being a direct upload.

Twice weekly hell by Daisy M
                            I completely sympathise with the sentiments expressed in the title. In fact two years ago I changed from treadmill running to pavement and haven't been tempted to get back into the sweaty gym. Really clever how you aligned the infinity mirror while disguising the camera. It is pretty unforgiving lighting but you've controlled it nicely. I think I would have cropped the left to the window edge as this makes the focus the line of lit steel struts rather than the central dark bits, but I like it nonetheless.

No more jobs by EOSwinters
                            Another selfie cleverly referencing finishing gardening, and then multiple relaxants: sleep, photographic magazine, radio, drink. It is all there, and it is very well composed, I love the fact that it is on an angle and you've even ensured that the radio aerial fits into the space. Great colours and lighting give a sense of dusky heat.

A Lidl shopping to do by lunarbo
                            Lidl are a pet hate of mine how they tend to always open on busy high streets with barely any parking so the queues go out onto the street causing traffic jams so people can save 1p on their multi cans of lager. Errm, sorry onto the image... I really like the symmetry and angles, mixing circles and lines and it works really well in mono - great conversion. Only let down by the visible cars which for me spoil the abstractness of it all, but I get that this is the reality of shopping life. I hope you didn't wait too long to get all the people at the far end.

A pub with a view by ColytonJohn
                            Now that is a lovely way to while away an hour or two. The HDR works really well and I love how the cushions help frame the view, which is helped by the street leading the eye out. The textured wall adds real interest inside too and the whole thing is well positioned. Except I can't help wishing the top left corner of the window wasn't clipped.

So that's all six entries. My winners are:

3rd: Pub with a view by ColytonJohn
                            2nd: A Lidl shopping by lunarbo
                            1st: No more jobs by EOSwinters

So well done Nigel, I look forward to your challenge.
                            Canon EOS 7D

Comment

Congratulations Nigel and well done to Bo and John; and a thanks to Alex for setting and the judging.

Looking forward to your next challenge Nigel!

Ian
                              Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Working...
                              X