MPB advertEOS magazine advert
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Challenge 144: Me Time

Member*

Default Re: Challenge 144: Me Time

"A pub with a view"

Sitting by the window in the upstairs bar of the Blue Peter Inn in Polperro drinking in both the stunning view of the harbour and the excellent Cornish Orchards cider.

Seven shot HDR from which three were selected for processing in Aurora.

5D3_7613_AuroraHDR2018-edit by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
    John

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thanks to those that entered, the challenge is now closed and I'll go away to consider my verdict...
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Lightroom, Photoshop Elements, Aurora HDR Pro
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Huge apologies, if I'm honest I found this one really hard as I'm ashamed to say that I have no other hobbies (that I can afford) anymore, work - racing - when not racing Cory and I are out with the cameras.

Sorry again

.DAVID.
    Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thanks again for everyone that did enter, and yes David, I was worried that photography doesn't leave a lot of time or money for other pursuits, but I was interested in seeing a little glimpse into your lives.

My thoughts on each of the entries:
    Hiking Gear by Farider
    I think photography goes reasonably hand in hand with a love of the outdoors and thence walking, and this still life has pulled together all of the elements. Placing them inside the tent was a great move to remove any chance of background distractions but must have added lighting challenges, but it is all well composed and lit.

Portrait by Anand
    I presume this is a self portrait with the picture on the wall behind referencing music and you on the vocals and recording. I like the jaunty angle of the picture which goes with the relaxed style of the image, but I would probably have cropped or cloned the edge of the picture on the left as it keeps dragging my attention. Not helped by being a direct upload.

Twice weekly hell by Daisy M
    I completely sympathise with the sentiments expressed in the title. In fact two years ago I changed from treadmill running to pavement and haven't been tempted to get back into the sweaty gym. Really clever how you aligned the infinity mirror while disguising the camera. It is pretty unforgiving lighting but you've controlled it nicely. I think I would have cropped the left to the window edge as this makes the focus the line of lit steel struts rather than the central dark bits, but I like it nonetheless.

No more jobs by EOSwinters
    Another selfie cleverly referencing finishing gardening, and then multiple relaxants: sleep, photographic magazine, radio, drink. It is all there, and it is very well composed, I love the fact that it is on an angle and you've even ensured that the radio aerial fits into the space. Great colours and lighting give a sense of dusky heat.

A Lidl shopping to do by lunarbo
    Lidl are a pet hate of mine how they tend to always open on busy high streets with barely any parking so the queues go out onto the street causing traffic jams so people can save 1p on their multi cans of lager. Errm, sorry onto the image... I really like the symmetry and angles, mixing circles and lines and it works really well in mono - great conversion. Only let down by the visible cars which for me spoil the abstractness of it all, but I get that this is the reality of shopping life. I hope you didn't wait too long to get all the people at the far end.

A pub with a view by ColytonJohn
    Now that is a lovely way to while away an hour or two. The HDR works really well and I love how the cushions help frame the view, which is helped by the street leading the eye out. The textured wall adds real interest inside too and the whole thing is well positioned. Except I can't help wishing the top left corner of the window wasn't clipped.

So that's all six entries. My winners are:

3rd: Pub with a view by ColytonJohn
    2nd: A Lidl shopping by lunarbo
    1st: No more jobs by EOSwinters

So well done Nigel, I look forward to your challenge.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Lightroom, Photoshop Elements, Aurora HDR Pro
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Congratulations Nigel and well done to Bo and John; and a thanks to Alex for setting and the judging.

Looking forward to your next challenge Nigel!

Ian
    Ian
    5D3, 80D, 100-400 IS II, 85 1.2, 24-70 F4, 1.4 EXIII

Member*

Well done Nigel, over to you for August, well done Bo & John. Thanks for the remarks Alex & setting it, would have been good to have seen a few more of others “me time” but enjoyed the challenge.
    Dave

Member*

Thanks Alex for setting such an interesting challenge and congratulations to Nigel and Bo for their most worthy win and place

Cheers,
    John

Glad we drummed up some entrants as the closing date approached ! I always find these challenges make us think and I gain from the experience

Thanks Alex for setting and judging this challenge and congratulations to Nigel for his winning image and my fellow podium person John.

Looking forward to the next!
    Canon 5d mk iv plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Wow. Thank you Alex for setting the challenge and congratulations to everyone especially Bo & John. Thank you Alex for giving great feedback on all the photographs. I will hopefully have some time today to be able to set the new Challenge.
    Nigel
    EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12