GWR Class 800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GWR Class 800

No not the 'proper' GWR but the modern franchise and seen here leaving Paignton is one of their new Hitachi developed Class 800 Intercity Express Trains. This is the first I've seen down here on the Paignton branch so I suspect it was training/testing.

5D3_7537 by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
    John

Re: GWR Class 800

Looks quite smart.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Nice capture John and an interesting perspective, were you on a gantry

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
      Peter

Feel free to browse my
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

That shot reminds me of one of the old BR painted posters for different lines.
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks folks

Not on a gantry but a pedestrian bridge. Back when 'everyone' came to Paignton for their holidays trains arrived every few minutes with the bridge being provided to convey people over the almost permanently closed level crossing. This is not the original bridge but a replacement built a few years ago when, IIRC, the automatic barriers were installed. Sadly this also saw the demolishing of the signal box from where the gates were remotely operated using a very large wheel.

So great was the holiday traffic that plans were made to increase the size of Paignton station to five platforms although the outbreak of war saw that scheme abandoned (along with another to move the line inland to bypass the troublesome Dawlish sea wall section so often closed during winter storms).

In addition to the passenger traffic there was a large goods depot in Paignton and coal for the gas works was brought in by rail usually having been offloaded at Kingswear further down the line.

As much as I enjoy living alongside the line I suspect having to endure steam and loose coupled freight twenty four hours a day the novelty would have soon worn off.

Cheers,
          John

Comment

A good capture John,it brought back happy memories of holidays in Paignton from the 1990s,and trips to Kingswear and Dartmouth.

I once made the mistake of starting at Totnes for the South Devon Railway..such a trek from the mainline station!

Comment

Well taken John

Tom

Comment

Working...
              X