5DIII Battery Charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5DIII Battery Charging

I had a 5DIII previously but moved away from Canon. I've just returned to a Canon 5DIII and are confused by the operation of the battery charger!

Using an LC E6E charger, which has the standard 'Charge' indicator and the three '% charged' indicators.

Regardless of whether I use a Canon battery or a Hahnel battery, the Charge indicator flashes once per second, as it should, but the % charged indicators do not light up! Charging instructions online say "if the charge light flashes slowly (once per second) it is charging and you should leave until it turns green, indicating a full charge."

If this is right what's the purpose of the three % charge indicators?

I believe Canon have 'messed about' with the charger to make it more difficult for customers to use non Canon batteries?

Re: 5DIII Battery Charging

They don't light up because they are not lights.

They are merely a pictorial reminder of the meaning of the various flash rates of the indicator light.
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Aah yes, of course, I'd forgotten. Thanks John but when battery is in camera it shows a full charge, but when in charger it's still flashing at once per second! I'll put it back on charge and leave it to see if flash rate changes.

Comment

Ok, I've got a Hahnel Extreme Li-on in the charger, so how long should it take to reach the first change of flash rate? (2 per second) It's been running for nearly an hour with no change!

Comment

Originally posted by tecmic View Post
          Ok, I've got a Hahnel Extreme Li-on in the charger, so how long should it take to reach the first change of flash rate? (2 per second) It's been running for nearly an hour with no change!
          I'm afraid I cannot help on that - I only have Canon batteries.
          John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Iirc A flat battery flashed 3 flashes...then as it charges...2....then 1 until it's solid green and fully charged

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by supergeeman View Post
              Iirc A flat battery flashed 3 flashes...then as it charges...2....then 1 until it's solid green and fully charged

That’s my recollection of the sequence of flashing LED’s too

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
              Peter

Feel free to browse my
              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

I thought that it was the other way round
                1 flash per sec then 2 flashes and then 3 flashes and when fully charged the led turns solid green

which it does on my 5D 1V charger
                Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Concur with Alex, this is what my 5D3 charger does.

Ian
                  Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Yep...you are correct [emoji106]

Comment

That's my experience, too, but on the charger I have now (LC-E6E) the flash rate doesn't change ! I've left it charging and eventually it powers off and the battery appears to be fully charged? This happened with both the Canon and Hahnel batteries.

Comment

Have you tried the battery in the camera? Does it last as long?

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                          That’s my recollection of the sequence of flashing LED’s too

My apologies, as others have commented, on battery insertion the charger LED starts to flash amber once, and then as charging progresses the LED moves on to a two flash sequence(=50%), then the three flash sequence (=75%). Continuing until the battery reaches a full charge (100%) at which point the LED is in a steady state and changes colour to green.

Peter

Feel free to browse my
                          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Originally posted by tecmic View Post
                            That's my experience, too, but on the charger I have now (LC-E6E) the flash rate doesn't change ! I've left it charging and eventually it powers off and the battery appears to be fully charged? This happened with both the Canon and Hahnel batteries.
                            I'm using the LC-E6E with no problems. I suspect that the batteries u are using are not genuine canon and haven't been decoded so that they will work the same as a genuine canon battery. I use Baxxtar LPe6n battery and it charges fine but I have since gone on the using genuine canon batteries
                            Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Had a charging quirk in the past. Originally had a 60D then added a 5D3. For some reason the 60D charger would not charge the battery that came with the 5D3.
                              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Working...
                              X