A question for Barbara

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question for Barbara

Bo, I know you have upgraded from the 5D3 to the 5D4.

I wonder if, having now had time for the new camera to bed in, you might be able to give some guidance on what you think you have gained, what you like/don't like etc?
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: A question for Barbara

HI John

I have indeed bought the 5d4 but I have not upgraded to it - it is my first (and last!) FF camera.

I still have my 80d and aim to keep them both. I have the 100-400 bolted onto the 80d for wildlife unless I'm travelling "light" when I put the do-it-all 18-200 on and that's it.

For all other occasions it's the extra MP, brilliant AF, & low light performance that I have with the 5d4 that I love and somehow the buttons just seem in the right place.

Originally I was waiting for the 6d2 to come out but when I played with it I disliked the crammed in focus points. I was in Sydney and the 5d4 just felt right, despite the lack of tilt screen that I had thought was important. And the OZ price -plus tax refund at airport -made it irresistable.

So no regrets at all from me, I love it. I'll never use the Dual Pixel and neither will you unless you're a pro fashionista, and apparently the video is great but I barely know where the button is for that

Anyway I guess you're looking for comments on the upgrade from 5d3 to 5d4 and hopefully someone will come in on that.

As a first timer on the 5d4 though it gets a big thumbs up from me !
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Sorry Bo - my misunderstanding - doesn't take much to confumble me these days!

However, I am encouraged to learn that you are pleased with the camera - as you say, others may be able to add to this and help me make up my mind whether to take the plunge!
      John Liddle

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
        Sorry Bo - my misunderstanding - doesn't take much to confumble me these days!

However, I am encouraged to learn that you are pleased with the camera - as you say, others may be able to add to this and help me make up my mind whether to take the plunge!
        Is it ok if I keep a ear to this thread too, as I keep thinking its time to upgrade from my mark three

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
        Peter

Feel free to browse my
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Me too- except I’m equally as tempted by the 6D2 for its flippy screen and connectivity....probably wait for 5D MkV which could be a mirrorless full frame...
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I have both 5D3 and 5d4 (always like to have two cameras just in case) The 5d4 is better in a number of areas:
            1. Better low light performance
            2. Much better focusing in low light
            3. Improved Dynamic range
            4. Better resolution.

Is it worth the money. To be absolutely honest I really cannot say that it is. I still shoot with the 5D3 and except in the poorest of conditions you would be very hard pressed to see any real difference in the results. However when the conditions are difficult it totally eclipses its predecessor. Would I be without it? No, I love it and the things it will do. Since I got it (on the day it was released) I have taken over 30,000 pictures with it. I have taken a similar number of pictures with the 5D3 over the same period so clearly I feel that the 3 is still a very good camera. I often work with prime lenses and it is much easier to put one focal length on one camera and another on the other camera. Avoids lens changing. One downside of the 5D4, my Tamron 24-70 f2.8 does not perform as well on it. The increase in pixel count puts more demands on the glass. This isn't the case with my prime lenses.
            Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Alan - thank you for your insightful observations - more grist to the mill!
              John Liddle

Comment

Working...
              X