experimenting with live view mono jpegs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

experimenting with live view mono jpegs

I tried to get some atmospheric shots....adjusting in manual until I got an attractive (to me) effect....I don't normal shoot like this......I'd welcome your views...

_MG_0052.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

_MG_0054.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

_MG_0057.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: experimenting with live view mono jpegs

Hummm you certainly like to try different techniques Brian. For me the grass is too blown out in the first two. The third one works better.
    Andrew

Comment

Third one is the only one that really works for me and even then I'd crop to 5x4 format and lose the very bright stuff at the top.

Nothing in the first is sharp yet the lack of sharpness doesn't look deliberate and the image is over exposed. In the second the dog and the grass is at least sharp but the background is not overly interesting and the sky has mostly gone to white with little of interest.

My experience of Canon live view (albeit with older and more primitive versions) is that the exposure metering in live is not very reliable...
      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Nice attempt Brian, the problem with allowing the camera to create the mono is that it leaves you little control over what you want the image to look like.

Tom

Comment

If you saved as Mono JPEG and Raw, you could rescue most in DPP, even colour. Not all of it would be possible in Photoshop or Lightroom.
          Janet

Canon 90D, 77D, Plus a load of lenses, especially macro.
          http://www.leighcameraclub.co.uk/

Comment

Brian,
            I frequently use live view on both my cameras but only for static objects or landscapes where the magnification facility is very useful in manually setting exactly where you want your sharpest focus to be, I haven’t had any issues with the exposure as the screen shows a close representation of what you’ll get. Personally I don’t think that live view is best suited to a dynamic situation like your dog where the focus point is always likely to be moving together with the exposure required ( the 80D may be better at this than the 5D3 as it has dual pixel but it’s something I haven’t tried).

I prefer to shoot in colour and convert to B/W afterwards where I have control.

For me your third shot is the best of the three and agree that it would benefit from a closer crop to remove the washed out top.

Ian
            Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Thanks for your comments....Jan - I have now set to Raw+Jpeg as at least that gives me a chance to recover more from the image.
              Ian.....I think maybe to get my settings right for exposure using live-view (for the desired effect) and then revert to the viewfinder for focussing would work. Thanks All!
              Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Originally posted by JanHarper View Post
                If you saved as Mono JPEG and Raw, you could rescue most in DPP, even colour. Not all of it would be possible in Photoshop or Lightroom.
                A black and white JPEG is just that: a black and white JPEG - there is no colour to recover regardless of the program used to open it. With raw the colour is always available regardless of camera style set or raw converter used. My IR converted is the only camera set to Monochrome style, in DPP the raw images will open as black and white as per the camera settings while in Photoshop and OpticsPro11 they open in colour (albeit with very little colour). On the rare occasion that I have set mono on a colour camera that same has been true - DPP opens it as mono with the option of reverting to colour while 3rd party converters always revert to colour.
                Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

I'm just coming to this series and while I like what you're trying to do feel that using in-camera processing discards far too much intormation that would be useful for post processing. For example, in converting the colour to mono you've lost the oportunity to affect how mono processors (such as Silver Effex) raises or lowers the contrast and density for individual colours. If you want to percevere with the experiment I'd be inclined to shoot two images: one RAW in color and the other processed in camera to see what you prefer.

Nothing wrong with the artistic aspect it's just that with more in the file to work with you could create something better.

Cheers,
                  John

Comment

There's something nice about producing the final image in camera rather than in PP...…………..but PP from RAW has many advantages as above so I've set Raw and Jpeg..…………

………either that or I'm not good enough to shoot jpeg and get what I expect.
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Working...
                    X