60009 Union of South Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60009 Union of South Africa

The Torbay Express today had 'streak' power in the shape of Union of South Africa. Sadly the powers that be decried that a diesel had to be coupled behind the tender on both down and up workings which marred loco and train shots (on Flickr if anyone wants to look). I did get a close quarter grab shot as it passed by and thought the stunning red nameplate was ripe for popping as seen here. I hope you like it:

5D3_7678-Edit by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
    John

Re: 60009 Union of South Africa

John

Tom

Comment

Lovely loco to see, to me the A4's where the most elegant of all steam loco's but how inconsiderate of them to couple a diesel behind the tender, the are usually at he back of the train.
      Nice colour shots on Flickr too,

Bill.
      7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

I like that...despite the opportunity limitations....it has good detail revealing the construction and girth of the engine rather than the overall dynamic shape (well I know what I mean at least)
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Like that John, different. Love A4s back in my youth this was the last one for me to see in the class, so fond memories of it.

Comment

Comment

Thanks folks

Sadly, although understandably, it's a condition of mainline running that during this dry spell steam must be accompanied by a diesel. When it passed me at the top of the climb out of Paignton the diesel was making more noise than the streak and the amount of exhaust from the chimney was about as much as you'd get from a smouldering oily rag. See the sadness here:

5D3_7675 by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
              John

Comment

Still better than not seeing it at all, though.
                Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Hi John,we currently have the same restrictions at the Great Central.It's just something we'll have to live with I'm afraid during these dry conditions.

Comment

Thanks Nick and Roy.

I quite agree about the restrictions as it doesn't take much to start a fire the consequences of which could be dire. I was at a WSR gala once and to make the line side look pretty they'd strimmed all the long grass but just left it lying where it fell. What they'd created, however, was a 23 mile long tinderbox so all the trains I was on kept stopping to put out the fires started by the last previous train.

Still, I'm off camping next weekend so just watch the rain clouds form

Cheers,
                    John

Comment

One thing I really do like about the second one is the "weathering" effect on the top of the boiler - we're so used to seeing pristine steam engines these days that one that looks like it's done some work is a bit of a rarity. So I forgive the diesel for giving us that view. ;)
                      I only have the vaguest recollections of mainline steam - my dad took me to York station a couple of times as it was being phased out, I would have been probably 4, and remember climbing on the exhibits in the old railway museum more, but I do have a memory of some enormous loco in there, just no idea what. But I have an incredibly soft spot for anything LNER in general, Gresley in particular, and A4s above all. Looks great by the sea.

And you're right about the clouds, I'm camping at the weekend too. ;)
                      Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

I understand your disappointment John, but I think you a good result anyway - the popping works really well.

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
                        Still, I'm off camping next weekend so just watch the rain clouds form

Cheers,
                        John
                        Please don't let it be Saturday - we have a garden party to celebrate our daughter's Phd - after that, I don't care!

P.S. I can guess where you might be going - we shall not be able to visit Cornwall until later in the year (September we hope)
                        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Thanks Nick and John - yes it was well weathered which surprised me

Congratulations to your daughter The weather looks good for your area so you should have a good day

Haven't made plans for this year but, as we have the little darlings through the long summer holiday, it's likely we'll be going somewhere and maybe even Carnevas. We don't need a hook-up so Caroline should be able to find space for us.

Cheers,
                          John

Comment

Working...
                          X