Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Re the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM lens focus indicator scale. - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM lens focus indicator scale.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM lens focus indicator scale.

A question please regarding the focus scale indicator on the above lens.

I've hired the lens for a few days,will I need to bother about the indicator, or not?I'll be using AF at all times if that helps.

It's certainly a heavy bit of kit,but I'll get used to it at an outdoor shoot tomorrow,then on my Chester Zoo trip on Saturday.

Re: Re the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM lens focus indicator scale.

I don't think I've ever bothered with the indicator.

The only advice I would give is to make sure that the focus mode (i.e. full or 3m-infinity) is set correctly so you're not trying to focus on something close up with it set at 3m-infinity. I've fallen foul of this before, wondering why it won't focus on something quite close (usually a butterfly or dragonfly).

Good luck, and enjoy.
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Can't see why you would need it - I never have.

Which version are you hiring? The trombone action of the Mk I takes a bit of getting used to. The Mk II is a lot more normal these days.

Have fun!
      Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Thanks Chris,that's good to know,I'll just be getting used to it tomorrow,and then a good session at the zoo,where I'm more likely to need it's full length.

Nick,it's the Mk 1 version,I'm used to push-pull lenses from my days with 35mm SLRs,in fact I find it more intuitive than modern twist zooms.

Comment

As said forget the scale but make sure the limiter is set to full

Be interested in how you get on as the Mk1 was the first L lens i had years ago, only kept it a short while as it tended to be a bit soft at the long end and replaced it with the 300 f4 and 1.4x which is still used regularly and knocks the !00-400 Mk 1 into a cocked hat

stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan,when you say full do you mean 1.8m to infinity?

I'll let you know how I get on with it after Saturday's zoo trip,I'm aware it can be a bit soft,so f8 and some attention in LR should sort most of it out.

Comment

Originally posted by The Nighthawk View Post
              Thanks Chris,that's good to know,I'll just be getting used to it tomorrow,and then a good session at the zoo,where I'm more likely to need it's full length.

Nick,it's the Mk 1 version,I'm used to push-pull lenses from my days with 35mm SLRs,in fact I find it more intuitive than modern twist zooms.
              So was I, but this is a trombone on a large scale. ;)

It's generally a decent lens. As Stan says, a bit soft wide open at the long end, but f8 should be good. For zoos, the ability to zoom throughout the range compared to a 300mm and 1.4x is useful.

Comment

Thanks Nick,everything at the outdoor event tomorrow will be close,but I hired it for the zoo trip to get the range when needed.
                This is tomorrow's event.."In Cathedral Gardens

Europe’s leading company in the art of the Living Statue, Masca Theatre, present a series of new, unique performances of The Forgotten Crafts of Paris. Masca will bring to life characters of Parisian street traders, transporting you back in time to discover the forgotten crafts through mime, powerful masks, costumes and unrivalled theatricality."(copied and pasted from the Cathedral website).
                Last edited by Guest; 18-07-2018, 16:16.

Comment

Sounds like a fun event to shoot, Roy.

Comment

Yes it should be,it's a short walk from home too and a good area for photography.

Comment

Thanks Stan,when you say full do you mean 1.8m to infinity
                      Yes

For zoos, the ability to zoom throughout the range compared to a 300mm and 1.4x is useful.
                      Agree, I use my 70-200 f2.8L and 1,4x for zoos
                      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                      flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan and everyone for your help and advice.

Comment

Well chaps,the lens proved to be invaluable today at the outdoor theatre event,most impressed with it!Definitely a lump to handle though!!

I'm still processing all 833 images and will post a choice few in the appropriate section here and on Flickr in due course,I had it on f8 most of the time.

Comment

I own both versions, never looked at the scale, I would say Stan you must have had a soft version as mine is sharp, indeed my first one isn't mush different to my second version. They are excellent lenses and the MK1 ones life cycle showed how good it was.
                            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

It served me well enough today Tony,no complaints.

I'm just in the process of uploading images to Flickr from the outdoor theatre event today.
                              Last edited by Guest; 19-07-2018, 22:24.

Comment

Working...
                              X