Worth keeping in mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worth keeping in mind

Heard something today that made me think and thought I'd bring it to the attention of the Forum although it's mainly directed at those into Wildlife photography.
    Two photographers were in a hide, sitting with windows down, camera's at the ready. Four people entered the hide spent a few minutes looking with binoculars at what ever was on view. A few minutes after they left the two photographers realised their backpacks which they had placed against the back wall behind them had gone. Between them they lost in excess of five thousand pounds worth of gear.

I'm sure we can all relate to this, I've done it, got the gear out the bag, set myself up and put the backpack out the way behind me. --- Between my feet in future!

In another incident a photographer was on an isolated river footpath with a top of the range Nikon camera and 400 mil lens.
    He was approached by two youths who pushed him into a bramble thickets and were gone with his camera and lens.

This is something I very often think about when I'm out and about - if you're jumped by a couple of youths - what can you do.

Just thought I'd bring it to your attention - you may just like to have a think about what you do when out with the camera. Sad I know, but its the world we seem to be living in now.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Re: Worth keeping in mind

Good to bring this up Trev.....and a good reason to carry a heavy monopod....for self defence of course!
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

With a spike on it.

As mine has a GPS module on it so I suppose I could try the I took your photo as you approached bluff and it has uploaded it to the cloud, steal my camera and the police will have your photo within the hour, anything happen to me and my son has instructions to pass the last images to the police...
      Might work, but luckily it's all insured though, someone on TV made a sensible suggestion, attach a little bell to a zip on your backpack, so you would hear it being moved / disturbed, but I NEVER leave a thing unattended in a hide etc.

I do hope they were insured, usual gumtree / eBay /local pawn shops etc search., all my serial numbers etc are registered with Canon and the insurance, it's the thousands in tripods etc that has no serials though the insurance is aware and happy. I always avoid stuff like cameras without chargers etc when for sale.
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

They were insured - the loss from the hide. I don't know about the other that was pushed over.
        I think in this day and age with knife crime on the up and up you would be advised to hand anything over -- I would, although a few years back I would have put up a good fight. -- you can always get a new camera, you can't get a new life.
        Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Food for thought Trevor these days my back up is in a small shoulder bag

Comment

I made sure when I renewed my insurance (pay a bit extra on the house insurance) that I have full cover for anything in the boot of my car - accident damage etc. PLUS I asked for 'mugging cover' basically get something in writing with your policy that states if you get approached / threatened / mugged you hand your kit over to avoid personal injury and you can claim for it - personally never had to use it and I pity the person / persons that try it but it is good to know it's there.

.DAVID.

PS: remember rule number one: Trust no one, when out and about treat your 'stuff' like it's on the most wanted list!
            Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

It appears that photographic equipment is fast becoming the 'in-thing' for muggers.
              Since posting this Thread, I've been told of an incident where a photographer was taking a picture on a country road, camera mounted on a tripod.
              A car pulled up a youth got out snatched the pod and camera and was gone. The photographer in question was in his 70's it shook him up so much he's afraid to go out alone now.
              I've asked to be put in touch with him - I would be quite willing to accompany him out.
              Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Working...
              X