What went wrong here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What went wrong here?

Babbacombe Beach in Torquay faces east with high cliffs rising almost straight from the beach. As the day progresses the sun goes behind these cliffs placing the beach in shadow so the best time to photograph the area is the morning and, it so happened, that I had to be there before 9am yesterday so took my 5D3 and EF16-35f4 to capture the deep colours of sea, sky, cliff and trees.

The results were not a great success as, even with the sun over my shoulder, the sky was not a consistent blue as per this direct, unprocessed upload:

16mm f8 1/125 Lens hood fitted
    5D3_7699.jpg

It was quite bright but, as you can see from the shadow, the sun was pretty much 'over my shoulder' so I wouldn't have expected bleed from a just-out-of-frame sun. I got this lens for landscape work and to avoid stitching so surely a lens of the quality (let alone cost) of the 16-35f4 should be capable of better or is it my technique that needs attention? Or am I just expecting too much?

Cheers,
    Johm

Re: What went wrong here?

My first thought is were you using a polariser?
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

I would agree with Nigel, looks like uneven polarisiation.
      Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Red face time ... just checked and, yes there was a polariser fitted!

I remember what happened now, I keep a UV filter on all my lenses for physical protection which paid off last year when I smashed the one fitted to my 24-105. I took the one from the 16-35 and fitted the polariser as a temporary stopgap and promptly forgot about it.
        UV filter now on order.

Thanks for putting my right

Cheers,
        John

Comment

I also saw this and thought "polariser" but then decided not to reply as the very next thought I had was "nah, John wouldn't post this without checking, would he?"
          Chris
          80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Originally posted by ctrollen View Post
            "nah, John wouldn't post this without checking, would he?"

Comment

Yes John I thought it was 'Polariser' as well. Have they still got the cliff railway?
              Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Working...
              X