STEP UP RING 55MM TO 77MM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STEP UP RING 55MM TO 77MM

Bit of advice please have just purchased Tamron 90MM Macro lens this has a 55mm filter thread,having sold my lens with the 77mm thread left with a 77MM Hoya polariser filter.
    Now the problem would a step up ring 55MM-77MM work appreciate its quite a leg up in filter terms.Realise as well you lose approx 2 stops using the polariser.
    Other than that suppose could move the Hoya filter on,would appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

GEORGE.
    CANON 2000D CANON 70D CANON 100-400MML MK1 CANON70-200MML F4 USM CANON 17-85 IS USM CANON SPEEDLITE 550EX CANON SPEEDLITE 270EX

Re: STEP UP RING 55MM TO 77MM

A step up ring shouldn't cause any issues, especially on a telephoto. Most issues with stepping rings come when using smaller filters on a larger diameter lens where vignetting can be caused by part of the filter/stepping ring intruding into the lens' field of view - this is particularly common with wider lenses. When the filter diameter is larger than the lens filter it's rarely a problem and 77mm is a lot bigger than 55...

I'd probably avoid using the polariser for macro work unless you are using a tripod or the camera can handle high ISO well. For non macro work it's not likely to be an issue and of course it would work equally well on other lenses - though that would mean additional rings depending on what lens diameters you have, luckily rings are cheaper than polarising filters...
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Hi Nigel many thanks for your input seems need to think about this one certainly will be using a tripod especially with my shakes, have also got a remote which will fit nicely into my system using the Canon 1300d.Thinking of macro work hence arrival of Tamron 90mm 2.8.
      Appears 1300D ISO goes to 6400 with a expansion of 12800 if required.
      Not really a lover of filters but obtained the polariser when was thinking of doing landscapes,however change of direction at the last minute.
      Appreciate your kind response Nigel.
      GEORGE.
      CANON 2000D CANON 70D CANON 100-400MML MK1 CANON70-200MML F4 USM CANON 17-85 IS USM CANON SPEEDLITE 550EX CANON SPEEDLITE 270EX

Comment

having done a fair bit of macro in the past ,I definetly would NOT use a Cpl filter or any type of filter on a macro lens ,you will simply ruin the ultra sharp definition of the lens ,macro lenses have to be stopped down a fair bit to gain depth of field i.e f11 or higher so your thinking of putting a dark glass in front of that NO NO NO NO

Comment

Jeff thank you for your response yes excellent point sir,had thought the 2 stop loss was at the back of my mind also.
          Yep think will at some stage just move that Cpl hoya filter on,certainly appreciate you input and advice.
          GEORGE.

Comment

To be perfectly honest I don’t advocate using any filters on any lens these days , as most filter effects bar the polariser can be done in p.p , also a lot of peeps will spend a grand on a camera ,a couple of grand on a lens then buy a filter off e.bay for a fiver and stick it on the front and go my shots are soft ,blurred etc .
            And yes I have mates that have done exactly that ,last one that asked me to check out why his picks were o.o.f I took his filter off let him take a couple of sharp shots to prove my point ,then threw the filter in the lake in front of him . I did buy him a drink though

Comment

Had at one stage thought about landscapes thats where the polariser came in,however will abandon usage and get rid as really a bird man.
              Have the Canon 100-400ML MK1 and although its a 77mm thread no way would use on a L lens.
              Appreciate you coming back on board Jeff as certainly may as well start off on the right foot.
              GEORGE.

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                To be perfectly honest I don’t advocate using any filters on any lens these days , as most filter effects bar the polariser can be done in p.p , also a lot of peeps will spend a grand on a camera ,a couple of grand on a lens then buy a filter off e.bay for a fiver and stick it on the front and go my shots are soft ,blurred etc .
                And yes I have mates that have done exactly that ,last one that asked me to check out why his picks were o.o.f I took his filter off let him take a couple of sharp shots to prove my point ,then threw the filter in the lake in front of him . I did buy him a drink though

Depends why and what, my filters have saved my lenses in the past, shooting a Victor bomber on full chat as it hurtles up a runway from behind the filter too the brunt of it and I had lots of little marks all over it.
                Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Have the Canon 100-400ML MK1 and although its a 77mm thread no way would use on a L lens.
                  I use one on mine, the MK2 version of the lens even has a little hatch in the lens hood designed so you can rotate a polariser on the lens.
                  Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Hi Tony thank you for coming on board have not placed the polariser on my 100-400MM believing lots of people seemingly not impressed with polariser/filters on front.
                    Also the approx 2stop loss concerns me however appears some people do use the polariser to protect the front of lens,certainly food for thought.
                    Purchased the hoya polariser at a good price from one of the forums it arrived in great condition,therefore letting it go perhaps might shoot my self in the foot.
                    Would have liked the Canon 100-400MML MK2 but price still quite high.
                    Many thanks for your advice Tony appreciate it.
                    GEORGE.

Comment

Working...
                    X