Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Advice please for a cycle race - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice please for a cycle race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next month there will be a professional cycle road race in Leicester,taking place over a tight course where the riders will be very close to spectators at several points.

Having been a racing cyclist in years past,I think I'll easily anticipate any significant events such as building up to sprints etc.Will my current lens set-up be up to the job do you think?

I have a rough idea of the course layout,and will try to be on a long straight section to get shots of the riders approaching my location.Prior to that,I'll try to get some shots in the preparation area,and then at the finishing line,which I believe will be the same area ie outside the KingPower soccer stadium.

Suggestions as to shutter speeds and apertures welcomed please,as are any thoughts and ideas you may have generally.

Re: Advice please for a cycle race

I would go with a long lens....preset exposure on manual with 1/1000 sec shutter or faster..continuous focus ....continuous shutter...not sure if your 550D has focus options ...and set focus priority so the shutter only fires if focus is achieved
    Not tried it myself
    Interesting that you once raced...I did time trials but was not fast....I was time trial secretary for StonevWheelers CC some time ago....still ride but don’t race...
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Brian,will my 55-250 do it?I don't think I have focus options like that,but I'll check.

I was a member in the 1960s of the Polytechnic(Regent Street London)CC,Midlands division,purely a track club,we had an outdoor track in Leicester at the time,but it's long gone now.Our coach was Dick Swann if you know the name?

Comment

There was an interesting article in this month's magazine where if you are using continuous drive & continuous shutter you can set the camera to prioritise shutter so that shots are still taken regardless of achieving focus or prioritise focus which slows the drive to ensure focus can be achieved. Unfortunately this isn't available on your 550D, so of no use to you whatsoever!
        Chris
        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

If possible, I'd advise trying different vantage points during the race, should be easy to move around if they are racing laps of a circuit. While it will be easier on straights, the pictures are likely to be less interesting as you will freeze the movement with a high shutter speed, thus the impression of speed tends to be lost. The best vantage point would be where they are just coming out of a bend where they will be leaning hard over which gives a much more dynamic image. Of course, you would have to be alert to catch the moment. Generally, I'd expect to take a lot of photos just to get a few really good ones, don't be afraid to blast away.
          EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Good advice above, but why not before the event take yourself out with all your gear, park up somewhere, town centre, park, cycle track etc. and take pictures of cyclist, motor cyclist or anything else that moves at various settings. No need to note those settings you will have them when you download, but note the weather, light conditions. Remember Practice makes Perfect.
            Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Thanks chaps,all excellent advice and duly noted.

Comment

An obvious one which you probably have sorted as well is use a ‘fast’ saving memory card if your camera can take a lot of pictures in a row.

Not sure as well but if you shoot in raw AND jpg then it may take longer to save so just go raw.

When scouting round for somewhere to take pics, take note of the possible background as well - don’t want silly things like signs/lampposts / bins that may suddenly look like they are sticking out the top of a cyclists head behind them.

Angles - consider height of photos. Are you stood up / sat down or even led down - what would look best for where you are and what you want to achieve and most importantly be ready for either - rug on floor / small chair etc.

Finally, be ruthless. A few years ago we had the tour of Britain cyclists come through Gloucestershire and I set up on a nice gradual corner, no one around until a few mins before the cyclists were due where someone with their camera came and even with 200 metres space either side of me, the positioned themselves right in front of me right next to me in my line of view of the corner...so I moved in front of them. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Andy
                Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
                EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
                [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

If you're really close, might be possible to use the wideangle end of your zoom and do some slow speed panning as they pass you. It's a bit hit and miss, but you can really get the feeling of motion that way, and it would contrast nicely with the long lens shots.
                  Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Thanks Andy and nickorando;

Andy;I always shoot in RAW now,I'll be standing the whole time and I'll watch out for backgrounds too.

I can generally create enough space around me.

Nick;That's good advice thanks.
                    Last edited by Guest; 26-07-2018, 16:13.

Comment

Rain is forecast here on Sunday,so I won't be going to the race.

Comment

Shame. Invest in a big fishing umbrella to sit under. :)
                        Andy
                        Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
                        EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
                        [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

If only..anyway there are a lot of outdoor events coming up at the end of the month that I can go to instead.

Also a trip to the Malvern Autumn show next month,and then Lincoln in October.

Comment

oh what a pity you got put off by a rain forecast , a good set of waterproofs or a large poncho would have helped there a decent tripod and gimbal to and something like a 1dx body is reasonably waterproof ,invest in a sigma 150-600 sport lens and there you have the perfect all weather system and you can almost shoot in a dark room . a folding camping chair so your comfortable while waiting and a large wheelbarrow to get all your stuff to your preferred pitch would also help ....and what with you being a retired racing cyclist yourself I would have thought the organisers would have given you the number one viewpoint to set up in .

oooh I just noticed you want advise on settings as well well if it was me I would go for f22 for depth of field right down the road , and a slow shutter speed to give a motion blur effect something like 1/30th of a sec
                            Last edited by the black fox; 18-08-2018, 09:00.

Comment

Fox;Your advice may come in handy for the same event in August 2019.

Comment

Working...
                              X