MPB advertEOS magazine advert
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Challenge No 145 - Growth

Default Re: Challenge No 145 - Growth

Firstly thank you to everyone for your entries. I am no expert judge or photographer so please accept that I have made my comments on my own views and I hope they are constructive.

Andy - Overgrowth. Good use of the subject title. I like the colours in this shot and also the use of depth of field.

Peter - Cactus Growth. I like the flowers on the cactus as it so unusual to see them, they almost look alien. You have made good use of limited depth of field but I would have liked all of the flowers to have been in focus.

Alex - Succulent growth. Great expression and feeling of growth. Good side lighting and exposure.

Garry - Fledgling growth. Lovely shot, all three birds well framed and in focus with a background that does not distract. I think I would have reversed the shot as I have a tendency to view it from left to right.

Ian - Aerial Roots. Great use of a macro lens. The different textures of the root shouts to me growth. A very sharp image.

David Miller - The wrong sort of growth. This brought a smile to my face. I think from a photographic point of view the curve of the body needed something more to help express the shape, the background I found distracting and the flash leaves a strong shadow.

Barbara - Mary, Mary, quite contrary... Lovely choice subject. The framing is good and we do not need to see more of the people as we can see the child and adult enough, the feet are nicely positioned in the centre of the floor tile. Good focus and shutter speed as the droplets are captured coming out of the watering can and I like the ripples on the puddles around the feet.

David Stallard - To make the garden grow. Great use of the Challenge subject. Pollen on top of the bee is in focus, the colours are very vibrant. For me the landscape view with the flower and bee almost in the vertical plane distracts a little, I think you have used rule of thirds to position the bee but this means the flower to my mind is not in the best position.

Now down to the judging, it was a tough decision. The top three based on my personal assessment of composition, technique, and subject are, in third place David Stallard, in second place Peter and the winner is Barbara.

Congratulations Barbara, I look forward to your Challenge and once again thank you to everyone else.
    Nigel
    EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thanks for the interesting challenge, Nigel. and great comments on each. So congratulations to Bo; the trophy goes back out to the Balearics and Mr Bo gets another starring turn as a winning model. And well done Peter and David for such excellent runner-up entries.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Lightroom, Photoshop Elements, Aurora HDR Pro
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Member*

Well done to all three of you especially Bo, well deserved. Thanks for setting such an interesting challenge Nigel, lost a couple of pound already, so could not repeat the shot. :)

Excellent critique and a very challenging subject - hence leaving it literally to the very last day before coming up with anything.

Hats off to the 'few' that took part, some really good interpretations! Congratulations Bo - another terrific shot, look forward to seeing what you come up with next

.DAVID.
    Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Congratulations Bo and well done to David and Peter. And thanks to Nigel for the competition and comments.

Look forward to your new challenge Bo.

Ian
    Ian
    5D3, 80D, 100-400 IS II, 85 1.2, 24-70 F4, EF-S 10-18, 1.4 EXIII

Well what a nice surprise Nigel, I wasn't expecting that. Cheers !

Not an easy challenge so congratulations to my fellow podei people and to Nigel for setting and his thoughtful comments .

I was keen not to have any kind of plant in the subject so cajoled our house-guest and his somewhat bemused daughter into being my models - Mr. Bo not in the frame on this occasion Alex !

Ok I'll get my thinking hat on and post a new challenge very soon
    Canon 5d mk iv plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

By the way Alex I did like your succulent- can you share with us how you added the growing bits to the shot?

Thanks for the interesting challenge and congratulations to all for the entries.

As soon as I saw Bo's entry, I said to myself - that a winner...well done.
    Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by lunarbo View Post
    By the way Alex I did like your succulent- can you share with us how you added the growing bits to the shot?
    Of course, Bo, thanks for asking. I processed the shot as normal in Lightroom then imported it into Photoshop Elements.
    Made a copy onto a new layer.
    Made a selection of just the cactus and copied that onto a new layer.
    Copied this onto another new layer, selected it and dragged it up a bit.
    Copied this onto another new layer, selected it and dragged it up a bit.
    Did this 7 or 8 times so I had a load of new layers, each with just a slightly more stretched cactus.
    I then had to reverse the order of the layers so the tallest cactus was at the bottom of the stack.
    I then applied successively diminishing opacities to each of the 'growing' layers, from about 20% down to 4%.
    I decided I wanted the bottom leaves sharp to accentuate growth just at the top so I applied masks to the bottom portion of all of the 'stretched' layers so those portions weren't visible.
    I then had to put a new black background layer in to tidy it up a bit.
    Et voila.
    If you had been quick in viewing you might have noticed I did it once with the original cactus solid and then fading upwards which was simpler but this ended up looking shrinking rather than growing, which is when I had to go back and the rework involved the re-ordering and having to add a new background. Hope that makes sense.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Lightroom, Photoshop Elements, Aurora HDR Pro
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Thanks Alex, I think I just about follow that.

I'll have to try with a simple shape in PSE to see if I can get the effect - it was both the diminishing opacity and the lack of stretch on the lower parts that confused me. ........That and the fact that I'm pretty much poop on layers. Mucho practice needed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12