Canon 5D Mark III's in camera Multiple Exposure feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 5D Mark III's in camera Multiple Exposure feature

Question about Canon 5D Mark III’s Multiple Exposure, which combines shots in-camera. I realise one purpose could be a moving subject. But I was thinking about it mainly for high contrast highlight/shadow scenes, taking the 1st shot perfectly exposed for the bright parts and another exposed for dark areas and then combine (in a sort of HDR way). But then I thought that still wouldn’t work, as my perfect highlight areas from shot one would be made brighter by the addition of shot 2. Similarly, the perfect shadows would no longer be perfect when the very dark shadows of the other shot were combined (although theoretically the combined shot should still be better than an individual one with lesser bad extremes).

The other thought related to perfect focus through the landscape scene. Rather than use f8 or f11, I thought of perfectly focusing using f4 or f5.6 with the multiple exposures first for nearby in shot one, next focus on middle distance in shot 2, and then focus for further away in shot 3. But again my hope of getting the whole distance range sharply in focus once combined I presume wouldn’t work? - because although I’ve taken every distance in perfect focus in one of the shots, that perfect bit would be blurred once I combined it with a shot where somewhere else was in perfect focus. ie an area that comes out perfect in one shot (focus or exposure) is combined with the same spot where it appears blurrier or wrongly exposed in another where somewhere else was perfect.

Re: Canon 5D Mark III's in camera Multiple Exposure feature

Sorry I do not own that camera so cannot help, but hopefully my response will flag it up to someone that can.

In macro we take individual photographs and then stack them to achieve what you are after, this will explain it, same thing, different scenario

Focus stacking is a photography term used to describe combining photographs to obtain images with a much larger depth of field that would be possible in a single photo
    Last edited by TonyT; 06-08-2018, 09:02.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I take the view that camera (and smartphone) manufactures add features such as this because they can and not because there's a need. Anyone serious about photography and wanting the effects mentioned would, without a shadow of a doubt, also be post-processing where both can be achieved with much more control.

Cheers,
      John

Comment

I believe that Canon's Multiple Exposure is a legacy from their film days where the Canon 620 allowed for Multiple exposures, where you used filters over the lens to block light while exposing, then do a reverse effect. I have a set of Cokin Filters that I bought in the film day that allows for this. You are right John that in today's world of post processing, it is not needed, but back in the film days when there where no computers for post processing, it was a neat trick to do in-camera.

Tom

Comment

I agree with the comments made by John and Tom

However it is interesting that this feature is still found in the (new) 5d mk 4 - due to demand or just habit ?!

My instruction book on 5d4 (David Busch) uses it - maybe!- for additive or average exposures. No mention of the stacking that you'd like , Rossk, I just don't see you achieving what you want

IMG_6957.jpg
          Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Working...
          X