Hong kong advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hong kong advice please

I will be having a 5 day stopover in Kowloon en route to Sydney in November, any advice on interesting photo locations much appreciated.

Re: Hong kong advice please

Stopped here for 4 days on the way back from Sydney this January.

Brilliant place so pleased we went even though I don’t think the locals are particularly friendly, maybe this is since they have gone back to being part of China: But we didn’t feel unsafe – just big and white !

Firstly get an Octopus card for travelling on the MTR which is safe and efficient. If you are over 65 take proof of this and the fare then drops to about 20p per trip!
    • Get the wonderful & ancient Star Ferry to HKI and go to the top of Peak Gallerie to see Kowloon.

• Go to Sky100 tower to see views of Kowloon, HKI , Landau and others. It’s at the top of a stunning new shopping mall and airport terminal – very futuristic and worth a snap or two before you get in the lift to go up to the tower

Both of the above should be on your list for the jaw-dropping view that is the HK skyline but you’ll just have the touristy shots. Never mind, when you’re back home they’ll still look amazing. You’ll also not stop taking pictures of HKI at night especially when the junk goes by.

OK on to the sexy stuff :::::::::::::
    • Peng Shi Heritage Trail. Start at the “Police Station” (Museum) end first so you know what it’s all about
    • Goldfish, Flower, Bird Markets. Off interesting bustling streets always worth having your camera out
    • Night market was modern rubbishy stuff but it’s off the lively Temple Street and the locals eat here—strange looking food in strange surroundings.
    • Upper Lascar Row(HKI) for antiques/junk market:
    • Near to this is the Mung Mo Temple: Overwhelming incense but great photo-op and you are allowed to take photos even though this is constant worship in progress
    • Temple of 10000 Buddhas. Worth the 432 steps to the top….
    • Walked on from here to Walled Garden Tsang Tai Uk. Well off the beaten track but a slice of a different life
    • Walked on again to the Che Kung Temple – old Shinto emperor, Big golden statue and bustling with worshippers
    I loved all these last 3 places but we should have taxied or MTR’d in between- we wuz knackered at the end!
    • Went on an Organised Day trip to Lantau Island which included Tai O fishing village- could have spent much longer here but trip person moved us along. Then Tian Tan Giant Buddha & Po Lin Monastery- stunning Golden Temple. All yummy stuff then cable car like no other – 25 minutes, must be done and some aerial shots here from on high

No racing on while we were there but if there had been we’d have gone. The night meets on HKI (rather than Sha Tin) are apparently the place to be

Finally I looked at the L lenses on Nathan Road…….. looked, was tempted, and then decided if it looked too good to be true it probably WAS too good to be true. You may decide differently

If I can help further then feel free to send me a PM
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Almost makes me want to go Bo, let alone Chubbythumper. Dave

Comment

Cheers Dave!
        Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

I could suggest time on Hong Kong Island - Stanley Market at the back of the Island, There are a couple of Themed parks, one Ocean Park, where they had Chinese Theatre shows and such like, Tiger Balm Gardens are good to see, though I think they call it Haw Par Mansion now (Happy Valley). Hong Kong and Kowloon Parks are a nice quiet oasis inside the hustle and bustle of the City, used to be two of the old british army camps.

Though it has been 15 years since I was last there, so will have changed massively since then.

Comment

Long time since I went, but we loved it. Victoria Peak is surely worth a visit, and we went to Lantau Island by ourselves, which I would definitely recommend - Tai O certainly was incredible, and so different to the city.
            But it's just a fabulous city with things to photograph everywhere.
            Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Lunarbo,

thank you for this wonderfully comprehensive reply, it all sounds fascinating. I am really looking forward to my trip and will probably give the Digital \rev store a bit of browsing also.

Chubby
              Last edited by Chubbythumper; 29-07-2018, 23:14.

Comment

Thanks also to Kashmir and Nickorando, would any of you know if there are any original traditional non touristy junks in the vicinity? I love old boats and even met my wife on one...

Comment

Probably not anymore. You could try Aberdeen, on the back of Hong Kong Island, it used to be a big big fishing village, where everyone lived on the water in Junks, but last time I was there, it had nearly all gone and they all lived in High Rise Flats, but may be a couple of boats still hanging about.

Something else you could try is to lookup Hong Kong on Google Maps, Zoom in close enough and you will see point of interest identified with cameras, click on the camera you can see photos other people have taken, might help find places you want to visit. And check out the places Lunarbo and nickorando mention. Though be careful, you may find 5 days is not long enough!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X