Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap as chips studio set up - I hope!

Hi there everyone.

Our product guy at work has just bought an ebay home studio for our product shots. The kit is great, good backdrop, lights are adequate etc.

However, I've now been asked to help with "white-ing" out the backdrop, and I've run out of skill.

I'm using a 40d, and I have a 420EX and a 420 EZ. I bought some optical triggers, which work ok, but are firing too early. I tried to find out how to turn off the pre-flash from the camera, but without much luck.

I have a flash sync cord that plugs into the side of the camera and a connector of the optical trigger - but I can't get the flash to fire.

Can anyone help solve my dilemma? Work don't really have the budget for a canon wireless flash controller ST-E2, we could send chocolate though!

Thanks

Colin

Re: Cheap as chips studio set up - I hope!

I don't think the built-in flash works except in ETTL mode, which includes a pre-flash. If your cable isn't working, then you could use any small flash without E-TTL in the hotshoe as a flash trigger.
    Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Thanks nickorando.

I only have the two flashes (apart from the built-in) The 420EX and the 420EZ - and I really wanted to use them for the backdrop.

Is there a setting on the camera I need to change to use the sync cable? NB, this isn't a hotshoe sender, just a plain sync cable to the flash.

Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Vicary View Post
        Thanks nickorando.

I only have the two flashes (apart from the built-in) The 420EX and the 420EZ - and I really wanted to use them for the backdrop.

Is there a setting on the camera I need to change to use the sync cable? NB, this isn't a hotshoe sender, just a plain sync cable to the flash.

Colin
        No, the PC socket should just work.
        If it doesn't, you will need to replace the cable and/or slave unit. You know it works optically, so a cheap flash for a fiver off Ebay is possibly your quickest and cheapest fix.
        Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

That does sound like a plan nickorando, but I get so confused by the huge number of choices.

If you get a moment, could you send me a link to a suitable flash?

Thanks

Colin

Comment

Working...
          X